A/C blows hot air

GIANT63
  • 2001 MERCURY SABLE
Six cylinder front wheel drive automatic 83,500 miles.

My car has ATC. The air conditioner blows hot air. When I set the temperature control it won't switch to the lower temperature from the heat control. When a certain temperature is reached it usually switches to maintain a temperature.
Thursday, June 3rd, 2010 AT 8:58 PM

MERLIN2021
Let me get a clarification please, your controls are digital, and the numbers do not change when lowering to the desired temperature? Or the digital readout lowers, but the A/C blows hot?

This sounds like a temperature blend door actuator that is not working.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/replace-blend-door-motor

Run the self diagnostic test on it by turning the key to on, then press off and floor at the same time, then within two seconds, press auto, If there is a problem a trouble code will appear on the display. To exit self test, press the blue, cooler button this also retains error codes, To erase codes and exit, press defrost, choose one of these before you power down the system. Test with engine at 120 degrees or more, and cabin between 40 to 90 degrees. Post any codes recorded here and I let you know what is defective.

Here are the wiring diagrams for the air conditioner so you can see how the system works.

There are 6 fuses that run the system lets start by checking them by using the wiring diagram to show you the fuse numbers below.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-a-car-fuse

Check out the diagrams (Below)

Please let us know what you find. We are interested to see what it is.

Cheers
+8
Friday, June 4th, 2010 AT 5:58 PM
GIANT63
I ran the test and I did not get any codes. All it gave me was three straight lines. I checked after I ran the test by putting the A/C on and the clutch engages on the compressor but still get hot air.
Sunday, June 6th, 2010 AT 2:10 PM
MERLIN2021
My guess would be the blend door, but the lines should be rotating as it performs a system test, then it should report codes, or 888 for pass. The test does take a few minutes, did you wait?
+2
Monday, June 7th, 2010 AT 6:59 PM
GIANT63
I took a chance and replaced the temperature blend door motor and it worked! I am so happy thanks for you help I cant believe this site is free, god bless you guys ;)
-1
Tuesday, June 8th, 2010 AT 3:41 AM
MERLIN2021
Glad you could get it fixed, that kind of problem can be tough. Please use 2CarPros anytime we are here to help

Cheers
+1
Saturday, June 12th, 2010 AT 9:02 AM
JJSABLE2001
  • 2001 MERCURY SABLE
Air Conditioning problem
2001 Mercury Sable 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 83000 miles

Ac was working fine a couple of days ago. It got cold so I used the heater. Now it is warm again I tried to turn on AC but it still blows very, very hot. The heater is stuck. When I press the Ac button I hear the compressor kick in. Help it is 90 degrees outside
Thursday, March 15th, 2018 AT 3:19 PM (Merged)
RENAUDTN
Blend door failure is a pretty common problem on this car; I would get it checked out.
Either the blend door or the blend door actuator.
RIWAHU
  • 2001 MERCURY SABLE
Air Conditioning problem
2001 Mercury Sable 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 130000 miles

Yesterday, we had streets flooded and I drove through water that was probably deeper than what I should have gone through. This morning, when I started the car, the A/C was blowing hot. The compressor is running and the evaporator is collecting moisure on the outside, so something is either stopped up, shorted out, or keeping a flap from opening or closing. I don't think there are vacuum lines, but I could be wrong. Could it be a sensor? Thanks! P.S. I has been working fine until today... No leaks, noises, etc.
Is the magnetic clutch engaging the compressor when you turn AC on?
BOWKILL2
  • 2002 MERCURY SABLE
Air Conditioning problem
2002 Mercury Sable 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 78,000 miles

My A/C only puts out real hot air, no matter what temperature is set it too. One mechanic told me it was overcharged, then another just told me it was a motor on the inside that turns a door from heat to cold. There never were any tests done, they were just telling me what they thought. What do you think?
Thursday, March 15th, 2018 AT 3:20 PM (Merged)
Check the high and low pressures this will determine if it needs freon, could be the clutch, pressure switch and the air blend door stuck in the heat position
+1
OSLO
  • 2002 MERCURY SABLE
Air Conditioning problem
2002 Mercury Sable 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 95000 miles

why would the air conditioning be blowing hot air
BMRFIXIT
It may be low on gas
have it checked or add 134A gas
check if clutch on compressor is working
check fuses and relays
good luck
ANGEL_GIRL
  • 1996 MERCURY SABLE
Air Conditioning problem
1996 Mercury Sable 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

My air conditioning is blowing out hot then cold. The prssure is good, we tried to fill it up with coolant and the guage said it was full. It sounds like the clutch is kicking on and off. What should I do? Please Help?
Thank you
Angel_girl
MERLIN2021
I don't know what type of gauge you are using, but maybe the one built into a can of R-134a? Get a normal set of manifold gauges, and go from there, the A/C compressor cycles too much because it's low on R-134a. Charge with A/C set in normal a/c mode, not max!
ANGEL_GIRL
  • 1997 MERCURY SABLE
Air Conditioning problem
1997 Mercury Sable 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

Hi, My aircondition has started acting up and wouldn't you know it right when I need it the most.
We thought it was low on coolant so we bought some and guess what not the problem. Well, here is what it is doing. I noticed when I turned it on the other day at first nothing but hot air. When I started driving it started cooling down. It does this periodically. It will be cool for a little bit then hot. When you turn the airconditioning on the clutch on the airconditioning motor kicks on and off.(Did not know if this is normal or not.) Please Help. Thank you
angel_girl
MHPAUTOS
Hi there,

The first thing you should do with any A/C problem is get the pressures checked, This will give the Tech a better idea as to what the problem may be, Just adding refrigerant into the system can cause more problems. Get it tested first.

ELAINE04
  • 1999 MERCURY SABLE
  • 120 MILES
I checked ac pressure and that is fine, fan blowing hot air, I dont hear blind door open how do I fix that
ASEMASTER6371
Behind the dash, center acessed from the bottom and throught he glove box.

What are the pressures on the ac?

M_H_RITZEL
If it is putting out cold air then hot I would believe there may be a leak someplace. There are dyes you can get at a auto store to help find the leak, also it does sound like it is low on freon.
Saturday, March 17th, 2018 AT 7:39 AM