Based on your description, I think you have a bad starter or battery. What I recommend doing first, because it is easier, is remove the battery and have it load tested at a parts store. THey will do it for free. If it passess, then you need to remove the starter, take it back to the parts store and have it bench tested. IF the battery is good, it sounds like the starter is drawing too many amps.
I realize this may sound elementary, but please make sure the battery terminals are clean and tight before going through this work. You can't believe how many times that is the problem and I would rather you not go through the work if you don't have to.
Sunday, January 3rd, 2010 AT 8:59 PM