INSTRUMENT PANEL /heatercore
1. Position front wheels in straight ahead position. Disconnect negative battery cable. Turn ignition lock cylinder to RUN position. Place a 1/8" (3.17 mm) drill bit through hole in trim shroud under lock cylinder.
2. Depress retaining pin while pulling out on lock cylinder. Remove lock cylinder. Remove tilt lever (if equipped). Remove steering column trim shrouds. Disconnect all electrical connections from steering column switches. Remove 2 bolts and reinforcement from under steering column. Remove insulator. Remove 4 nuts and reinforcement under steering column.
3. DO NOT rotate steering column shaft. To ensure steering column shaft does not turn, install ignition lock cylinder. Remove 4 nuts retaining steering column to instrument panel. On column shift vehicles, disconnect transmission (PRNDL) selector from column. Lower steering column.
4. Remove one instrument panel brace retaining bolt (near radio). Remove sound insulator under glove box. Disconnect main wiring harness in engine compartment. Push rubber grommet and wiring harness into passenger compartment. Remove right and left cowl side trim panels.
5. Disconnect wires from instrument panel at right and left cowl side. Remove one right and one left instrument mounting screw. Remove right and left speaker covers. Release glove box assembly by depressing side of glove box bin and swing door down.
6. Using steering column and glove box openings, disconnect all electrical connections, vacuum hoses and heater control cable. Close glove box. Support panel and remove 3 screws attaching top of instrument panel to cowl top. Carefully remove instrument panel from vehicle.
7. Disconnect negative battery cable. Drain coolant from radiator. Disconnect heater hoses from heater core. Plug heater core tubes. Disconnect vacuum supply hose from inside engine compartment.
8. Remove instrument panel. See INSTRUMENT PANEL R & I in this article. Remove support bracket screw connecting instrument panel to heater case. Remove 2 screws mounting floor outlet to heater case. Remove floor outlet.
9. Remove 3 heater case mounting nuts. Remove 2 upper heater case bracket mounting screws. Carefully remove heater assembly from vehicle. Remove 4 access cover screws from heater case. Remove heater core from heater case.
To install, reverse removal procedure
Friday, January 23rd, 2009 AT 6:26 PM