FUEL PUMP QUESTION

Mercury Marquis

miamibob

September, 9, 2006 AT 12:56 PM

I just replaced the original Fuel Pump on my '87 Grand Marquis. It has almost 111,000 miles on it and I replaced the pump with a Carter pump. When I turn the key but DO NOT start the car I can hear the pump " clicking". It is lower but somewhat audible when the car is running. My question is should the pump be completely silent or is this " clicking" abnormal. It is a NEW pump and not a rebuild! Thanks. Bobby

merlin2021

March, 6, 2007 AT 5:08 PM

Some noise is normal, it's usually a soft whine not a clicking. Have you pressure tested the new pump?

miamibob

March, 6, 2007 AT 7:23 PM

No, I have not pressure tested the pump as the car runs perfect. I was just interested in the fact that the NEW Carter Pump is noiser than the original Ford Pump. At idle I can hear it from inside the car - maybe I am being over sensitive?

miamibob

March, 8, 2007 AT 9:22 PM

Yes, it is a " whine", not a click. Hope this helps.

merlin2021

March, 9, 2007 AT 2:35 AM

In those years yes you can hear the pump!

miamibob

March, 9, 2007 AT 9:49 AM

Thanks for the speedy reply! The reason I asked is because when I had the original Ford Pump it was quiet! This pump (Carter) is certainly louder. However, the car runs well so I hope what I hear is normal and not a defective pump with a shorter than normal life span!

merlin2021

March, 9, 2007 AT 1:29 PM

Did you get a warrantee? Why not wait and see for a few weeks, I had an 86 Town Car and also did a fuel pump in it. They do whine a bit!

302ernie

THEY ALL WHINE AND WHEN YOU HEAR WITH KEY ON ITS DOING ITS JOB ITS PUMPING DONT WORRY BE HAPPY ROLL ON

Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe
Fuel Pump Pressure Test