2001 Mazda Tribute running rough on startup and then fine o

DEBIDO
  • 2001 MAZDA TRIBUTE
I had an error code 0305 so my husband changed the spark plugs and the engine light went off. The truck is still running rough on startup, once it is warmed up it runs fine. My husband noticed a small hose that looks like an intake hose, he thinks this hose air into the engine. This hose is all squeezed in when the truck is running and while it is running rough. He pulled the hose off and the truck stalled and now my engine light is on again. Can you tell me if there is a sensor problem or mayble the idle air control valve?
thank you
Friday, October 22nd, 2010 AT 10:41 AM

KHLOW2008
Hi Debido,

Replace the hose and retest if problem persists. Some hoses cannot be disconnected as vacuum leakage can cause stalling due to the MAF not getting sufficient air flow reading.

What is the EXACT trouble code for the CEL to indicate now?
Thursday, October 28th, 2010 AT 1:17 PM
DEBIDO
My husband took the idle air control valve off and just left it plugged in, when we turned the key to on, it wasn't working. He took it off completely and sprayed
carb cleaner in it and plugged it in again and it is moving up and down but not very quickly. How do you know if the idle air control valve is faulty?

If this isn't the problem then I will replace the hose.

The engine light went out on it's own.

Thanks for your help
Thursday, October 28th, 2010 AT 1:58 PM
KHLOW2008
If IAC is working as described, it should be in working order. Unless the idling is out of specs and cannot be controlled, then the IAC is bad. A bad IAC would trigger a trouble code.

When IAC gets clogged with dirt, it sometimes takes a few cleaning session to get it in good working order.

Though the CEL might have gone off, the trouble code is recorded in the PCM and a scan would reveal what is it. It could be related to the problem.

The hose is part of air bypass and if it has collapsed, the amount of air is reduced and this can result in lower idling speed.
Thursday, October 28th, 2010 AT 2:06 PM