1989 MAZDA RX7 FUEL PUMP RELAY

• rs.escort
  • 1989 Mazda RX7

1989 Mazda RX7 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 240000 miles

Hi Folks. I have an 88 or 89 Mazda RX7 and have no power to the fuel pump, and the fuel guage does not work. The car has been sitting for about 10 years, but all other electrical items work.

I understand there is a relay somewhere for the fuel electrical, but I can't find it. ( It does not appear or at least is not marked as a fuel fuse or relay in either the under hood or drivers side kick panel fuse boxes.

Can you tell me where the relay should be, and if that is the only fuse/relay in the system?

Saturday, August 29th, 2009 AT 7:23 PM

• rasmataz

Check fuse no. 7 if okay test the circuit opening relay located behind instrument panel and fuel pump relay at behind right headlight

See below

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_cor_4.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_fpr_2.jpg

Saturday, August 29th, 2009 AT 7:56 PM
  • rs.escort

Thanks, I wouldn't have looked there for the relays. I pulled them out but really have no way to test, and jumping the connector terminals for the under hood relay just made for some warm wires ( between two of the four, between another two I got a clicking sound coming from the area of the intake plenum )

I will cruise down to Mazda and pick up new relays. One less thing that could be wrong then.

Oh and my fuses are not numbered on the panel or the cover. Are you talking about the 15 amp engine fuse?

Saturday, August 29th, 2009 AT 8:33 PM
  • rasmataz

Yes Sir-also give me your email addy and I'll send you the road map on the fuse block and the computer controlled circuitry.

Saturday, August 29th, 2009 AT 8:40 PM
  • rs.escort

Excellent. It's thegoodlife4us@telus. Net

I very much appreciate your help.

Mark Collet

Saturday, August 29th, 2009 AT 9:01 PM
  • RobertBlas

Gentlemen, This is a shot in the dark but I am having the exact same problem.1989 RX7 fuel gauge doesn't work and the fuel pump doesn't work. Would like to check and see if it is the same problem you had before replacing the pump.

Can either of you send me the diagram of the fuse panel so I know where #7 is and Mark, could you let me know if this was in fact the problem?

Thanks,

RB

Wednesday, June 23rd, 2010 AT 4:04 PM
  • wrx/rx7

I know I am a couple of years behind you guys, but I bought a 1988 t2 and it will crank but not start any help please

Thursday, November 8th, 2012 AT 6:45 PM
  • rasmataz

Go to this link and review it thoroughly: http://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-cranks-but-wont-start

Friday, December 14th, 2012 AT 11:43 PM