2001 Mazda 626 timing belt whine after replacement

J_MAN
  • 2001 MAZDA 626
I have just replaced the water pump, timing belt, both idlers and tensioner pulley, and automatic tensioner on a 2001 mazda 626 2.5 litre. It started right up but almost immediately began to whine and the engine stalled out once. The pulleys and belt came in a kit (gates #tck214) The new automatic tensioner I put on is a cloyes #9-5324. It is a cast iron unit instead of aluminum. Is the belt too tight? Should I try using the old tensioner? The new one had more stickout but I checked online and this is the recommended part#. Please help. Thank you
Saturday, November 28th, 2009 AT 7:09 PM

MHPAUTOS
Hi there,

This does sound like the tensioner is to tight, try the old tensioner and see how you go.

Saturday, November 28th, 2009 AT 7:14 PM
J_MAN
Thank you for replying. The old hydraulic tensioner puked oil when I compressed it to pin the plunger for reassembly. My understanding is this means replacement. The cloyes part had a stickout greater than that of the factory piece. Either there is some mid year cutoff or this part is manufactured wrong. I have a dayco replacement on order which is, from observation on the website, identicle to the factory aluminum piece instead of a cast iron replacement-same stickout. The cloyes had a lifetime replacement, the dayco one year. Go figure. Thanks
Saturday, November 28th, 2009 AT 10:02 PM
MHPAUTOS
These things are sent to try us, as you said the old one is due to be replaced and the one that is noisy is over tensioning the belt, the replacement one I hope will solve all your problems,

Good luck,

Saturday, November 28th, 2009 AT 10:20 PM
J_MAN
Well I've taken the thing apart and replaced the tensioner with the correct one. The car starts and idles fine but now it makes the "whirring" sound as soon as you hit the throttle. This is my nieces car so i'm unsure if this is normal becuase i'm rarely in it. Is this normal or should it not be making this noise at any rpm? I realize that a cogged timing belt or any drivebelt of this type should emit some audible noise. Thank you in advance.
Tuesday, December 1st, 2009 AT 11:12 AM
MHPAUTOS
Hi there,
these should be fairly quiet, I will have to look up the engine and see hoe it is set up and I will re post with any advice

Tuesday, December 1st, 2009 AT 4:30 PM