LOST RIGHT SIDE SIGNALS. LEFT WORK, SO FLASHER GOOD.

1988 Honda Civic

beasley2013

June, 8, 2013 AT 11:41 AM

Tried to fix problem with LH signal flashing when RH engaged. Blew a fuse when I shorted LH switch to grd. Now only have LH signal, none on RH. Flasher works, also the Em. Flasher works for all lights, including RH, but no turn signal to RH side. Continuity checks OK for turn switch in all positions. Voltage at Em. Flasher is @ 13V, but signal switch shows @ 8V.
Suggestions?

June, 9, 2013 AT 1:50 AM

The left signal working does not necessarily mean the flasher is good. Left and right have different circuits within. Do all the lights turn on when the hazard lights are turned on?

beasley2013

June, 14, 2013 AT 2:25 AM

Yes, all lights work perfectly when Em. Flasher on! I rechecked the posts on switch & found I had bent one during testing & now have all working, except as before - the LH sidemarker blinks when RH is engaged. I took the flasher & swapped into another Honda, it is fine! To pass inspection, I removed wiring for the side markers & just use as an ornament, but would rather fix the problem & have sidemarkers as turn indicators.

beasley2013

June, 14, 2013 AT 2:27 AM

Also figured out that the main Volt. Comes from Em. Flasher switch & the turn sig. Switch will only have 7-8V. Just puzzled in what I'm missing!

June, 14, 2013 AT 11:21 AM

I am confused with the situation and let us put it in proper perspective so that I under the problem correctly.

1. LH signal flashes when RH is turned on. This is to mean the signal switch only works the LH when when it it turned to right or left? If yes, you could have a bad siwtch.

2. Less than battery voltage can mean a poor connection somewhere and for the flasher relay, the correct voltage is important fo it to work correctly.

I tried checking through the circuit schematics in our database and is as confused as before. Not easy when there are 3 diagrams to link. Maybe I should try printing them out to check.

beasley2013

June, 15, 2013 AT 5:42 PM

The LH sidemarker blinks when RH turned on. The LH turn signal (in bumper) doesn't blink when RH on. RH side works normally. All lights blink as expected on Em. Flash. Have tried another switch from working Honda Civic as well as flasher relay. Same results. The LH will blink normally when LH on, but LH sidemarker also blinks as the RH blinks.

June, 16, 2013 AT 12:36 AM

There are 2 relays in the circuit. You mentioned swapping, was both swapped or only the hazard flasher? In the underdash fusebox there is another side marker flasher relay.

beasley2013

June, 18, 2013 AT 2:59 AM

Swapped turn signal relay, not the other relay!

June, 18, 2013 AT 5:45 AM

Check out the side marker relay. Seems that is the only component that can cause the symptoms described.