SLOW START ON COOL MORNINGS

Honda Civic

angelj19

August, 22, 2006 AT 6:37 AM

I have a 1994 Honda Civic. Lately, it starts rather slowly on cool mornings. I've checked this site for similiar problems, but it seems that others have problems on hot days. It usually stutters for about 4-5 seconds before the engine turns on. The lights stay on until that moment. I've purchased a new battery already. Any ideas? Thanks.

Bruce Hunt

August, 22, 2006 AT 9:13 AM

Tune-up done in a while? I was thinking that the plug wires could be a factor, but it could be other things as well.

angelj19

August, 22, 2006 AT 9:42 AM

Yes, I had a tune up recently. I had one after this problem started. Then it was suggested that I get a new battery, which I did. I also have 193,000 miles on the car. Thanks.

Bruce Hunt

August, 22, 2006 AT 9:49 AM

When the air is warm but the car has been turned off as long as on the cool days does it still start harder on the cool days and pop right off on the warm days? Probably don't get a check engine light either.

Check the coolant level to ensure it is filled to capacity and when it is warm, crack open the bleeders to let out any air in the system.

angelj19

August, 22, 2006 AT 10:08 AM

It seems to me that when those mornings where the air is warm it starts okay. It's only on those mornings where it is rather cool that it hesitates. No, I've never gotten an engine light lit. It runs fine after those initial 4-5 seconds in the morning. I'll check the coolant though. Thanks again.

Bruce Hunt

August, 23, 2006 AT 10:32 AM

What was the tune-up comprised of? What did they do?

angelj19

August, 23, 2006 AT 3:23 PM

I had the spark plugs and wires changed. He also changed the valve cover gasket. Someone mentioned to me about changing the distributor cap, but I can't remember if he did that. I'll have to locatea my receipt and see if that was included. Thanks again.

Natalie

Bruce Hunt

August, 24, 2006 AT 10:45 AM

Was the timing checked?

angelj19

August, 24, 2006 AT 1:42 PM

I don't think so.

Replace Your Turn Signal Switch Like a Pro