LOSS OF POWER- ELECTRONIC THROTTLE CONTROL & ELECTRONIC STABILITY PROGRAM FOR TRACTION DASH WARNINGS

2007 Jeep Liberty

lib321

April, 12, 2013 AT 7:13 PM

This concerns a 2007 Jeep Liberty, well maintained, 65k miles.
3 episodes over 10 days where the vehicle loses most of its power while driving.

I get warning signals on the dashboard (number 26 and number 28. Page 166 in the manual). 26 is electronic throttle control warning light; number 28 is electronic stability program for traction control system.

Each time the jeep lost power, would only do about 15 or 20 mph, I pulled over, I turned the engine on and off a few times, and the Jeep would start up and run fine.

The first 2 episodes happened on the same morning, and I drove over to the Chrysler Jeep place and talked to a couple guys in the service department. I described what had happened and they told me they could not do anything to find the cause because the warning lights were not on right now and a diagnostics test would not show anything -- the error codes do not get stored.

I bought an OPD2 reader to use while the warning lights were on. This morning it happened again (3rd time). I pulled over, with the engine running I plugged the thing in and got no codes. I shut the engine off, then keyed to "on", and again could get no codes from the OPD2.

Does anybody have any idea what is going on, and how to fix it?

Many thnx

April, 13, 2013 AT 3:07 AM

You have a fly by wire failure on your throttle.

It is either the throttle body or pedal sensor.

Take it to another dealer as these guys dont know what they are doing

lib321

April, 13, 2013 AT 5:20 PM

Thanks for the response - I'm in a real bind over this.

Just a few questions.
1) how confident are you that it's either the throttle body or pedal sensor? Dead on, or probably is, or?
2) is one more likely than the other?
3) should the repair preferably be done at a Jeep dealer, or any good repair garage?
4) roughly speaking, what should it cost to get these fixed / replaced?

Thnx again

April, 13, 2013 AT 6:10 PM

I am here and you are there. From my expierence, I believe it is the throttle body as it is the most common failure.

It can be done at a shop. Make sure they use oem parts

throttle body around 500 with 1 hour in labor.