WHAT WOULD CAUSE A LOSS OF POWER AND FLASHING CHCEK ENGINE LIGHT

2003 Jeep Liberty

elizabethbrooks

September, 19, 2012 AT 10:03 PM

I have a 2003 Jeep Libert 3.7l V6. Saturday the thermostat went out. We had it replaced and we told that the radiator had a leak but was holding pressure- we opted to not replace it yet. Yesterday my husband was driving it and the check engine light was flashing- he had power loss couldn't go faster then 40mph. I'm wondering if these two things are related or seperate? Engine codes are p0300, p0303, p0304, p0305

saturntech9

September, 19, 2012 AT 10:40 PM

I would say seperate have you had the exhaust checked for excessive back pressure?

elizabethbrooks

September, 19, 2012 AT 11:24 PM

No I haven't. Is this something we can do ourselves? Could it be a head gasket?

saturntech9

September, 20, 2012 AT 12:02 AM

The bad engine miss fire and only being able to go 40 with a big loss of power?Makes me think plugged cat. Its best to take it to a exhaust shop to have the back pressure done or you will have to buy a back. Pressure tester and learn how to use it.

elizabethbrooks

September, 20, 2012 AT 12:46 AM

Would it be OK to drive to the shop? Any ideas what I'm looking at as far as costs go? I'm relieved to know u don't think its a head gasket

saturntech9

September, 20, 2012 AT 12:58 AM

How does it run now?It doesnt blow out white smoke out the tail pipe while running does it?As far as cost it all depends if it is a plugged cat an how much they cost.

elizabethbrooks

September, 20, 2012 AT 1:07 AM

No white smoke but once it warms up the engine kinda stalls feels like its going to die at any second. But it runs OK when it first starts.

saturntech9

September, 20, 2012 AT 1:18 AM

Alright so it acts up when hot?Usually when the cat gets clogged thats usually what happens.I would have the back pressure checked. Also when its acting up do you ever have to let up on the gas for it to shift up to the next higher gear.

elizabethbrooks

September, 20, 2012 AT 5:25 PM

Yes we have to let up on the gas to get it to shift gears. Would there be engine codes for the CAT showing?

saturntech9

September, 21, 2012 AT 2:42 AM

A plugged cat usually doesn't set codes sometimes it triggers missfire codes.

Find Out How to Test Your Catalytic Converter
Catalytic Converter Replacement Volkswagen
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Filter Replacement Ford F-250
Fuel Filters Replacement 2015 RAM 2500 6.7L