Speedometer and information center don't work

IVEY
  • LINCOLN TOWN CAR

72,000 miles, automatic trans. When I turn the ignition switch on for about a tenth of a second the digital information center gives information. It will flash the information but don't blink or you wont see the information. The information than turns to digital lines relaying no info. - - - - Like this. The speedometer looks analog but is electronic it don't register the speed at all. The motor is a 4.6 runs good and shifts great none of this is affected. The information center and odometer stay's lit up but shows digital lines only and no information. The ABS light and brake light stays on.I have checked for broken wires bad relays blown fuses, bad connections, replaced the odometer and it still does the same thing as the old cluster with no changes. At this point I can not drive the car with out knowing how fast I am going. The gas gauge works and the heat gauge works. No cruise control. At this point I am totally lost I need help and the car shows no bad codes HELP PLEASE!

Monday, November 5th, 2007 AT 9:55 AM

IVEY

Hi, I completed all that you asked me to do I checked continuity on the wires from the sensors to the end of the abs plug from the rear wheel to the plug under the rear seat also the ohms were the same on the sensors, unplugged cleaned used light electrical grease on pins and connections, I checked all fuses and relay's all ok. Had the car checked it still shows no codes. The problem remains. Any other things I can try? If you can think of anything please let me know thanks for your time.I will await your command.

+1
Wednesday, November 7th, 2007 AT 9:29 PM
IVEY

The very first thing I did was take the wiring harness apart and look for cut burnt or broken wires one wire at a time I checked from one end to the other for contiuity and had it, I checked for inline fuses. This I done on all the wires that run across the radiator support and then brake out and go all over. The abs plug I unplugged and checked from the inside of it to the end of each wire for contiuity.I unrapped all the wires and ran them down and I could not find a problem there, I did this before I ever contacted you. The plug in on the abs seems to slide over the pins real easy so I tightened up the female plugs and put a thin amount of electrical grease on them and plugged it back in and slid the grey plastic lock back and checked it still the same problem. So far I have spent for a real amount of time maybe 200 hours working on this problem.I am also a decent mechanic but this is out of my league thats why I contacted you. What do you think the problem is in your mind? Thankyou!

-1
Thursday, November 8th, 2007 AT 12:08 AM
IVEY

I am drawing a blank as far as thoughts, What I cant understand is its picking the code up for a 10th of a second so it is reading the codes, Stop me if I am wrong, now when its reading the codes its impossible to check the speedometer that fast but atleast I know the information center is reading the information but not retaining it. Now the fellow I had check the codes, I didnt hang around and watch him but he told me that he checked for B&C Codes he charged me $50.00 so I hope he done something for his money. What exactly would the B&C codes tell you anyway? I hate to change the abs module but I will, I just have never been much for eliminating the problem by changing parts till it was fixed it is very costly.I could always put a bicycle speedometer on it Ha Ha just kidding.I meant to tell you the car was in a front end collision before this happen, it blew the steering wheel airbag but all I had to do is replace the front bumper. The radiator and support was all fine. Can a small collision or a hard jar make the ABS go out? Does this help at all to help diagnosis the problem. Is there any quick fix or trick you know that will let me know if the abs is the problem.I thought of jumping all the wires out one at a time because even though I am getting continuity dont mean much. It could be just one strand of wire making contact you know what I mean. If this was your car what would you do at this point? Thankyou for your time and answere's.

-2
Thursday, November 8th, 2007 AT 10:54 AM
IVEY

"YES SIR SGT. I WILL GET RIGHT ON IT AND TRY TO LOCATE ONE SIR. And I will report back to you when I finish SIR! Thankyou ps: between me and you I hope this works.

Thursday, November 8th, 2007 AT 1:08 PM
CINDY VANPATTEN

Replace ABS track control module! Just went thru same thing now everything works perfect

+5
Tuesday, July 26th, 2016 AT 6:26 AM