1995 Lincoln Town Car hard starting

• 1 POST

1995 Lincoln Town Car V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 133000 miles

Within the last year, at least once a week I have a hard time starting the car. It cranks and cranks but but it will not turn over. Sometimes, I have to wait 5 or 10 minutes and then it will start. Yet, sometimes it starts after the 3rd or 4th crank without waiting. There is no ryme or reason or logic or consistency with the problem. I took it to my local mechanic and he checked the starting system: battery, starter and alternator. All readings met or exceeded the minimum requirements. He found no problem and suggested that I leave it for a week. The next time I had the problem, I took it to my local Ford dealer since I thought they might know of a recurrent problem with this model and year. They ckecked the starting system again and found no problem. They asked to keep it for a few days. They then told me that it was the fuel pump. I gave the Ok to change it. It then worked great for about two weeks. I went on vacation two weeks ago and the problem returned. I have owned the car since new and take good care of it and has absolutely no rust since I only drive it from April through October since it does not handle well in the Chicago snow because it is rear wheel drive. Most miles are highway. 99.9 percent of the time it starts and runs great. I could live with the problem but sometimes my work takes me or my wife through some very rough areas of the City. Can you help?

Saturday, November 1st, 2008 AT 9:55 AM

Hello -

Based off of what you are saying it could be fuel or electrical. Though you have taken care of the car and the miles are highway, it is still over 100000. Things start to happen. Since they changed the fuel pump it may be the fuel relay

On the electrical side, if the ignition module is not working correctly it is not sending the signal to the ignition coil to fire. Your plugs and plug wires may need changing also. Your plugs are to be change every 30,000 miles. You have to have excellent diagnostic equipment to check the ignition coil and module.

My suggestion. First please go over to Auto Zone or O'Reilly's and for free they can pull the codes to the car. Most important. Once they check your codes, if they find something and you don't get it fixed and need to get back with us, please make sure you tell us exactly what the code was, number and all. Example, if the code was E0568 O2 Sensor bad. Then make sure you give us all of that. While there for free also they can bring their tester out and check your battery, alternator and starter. While you are there pick up the relay and pop it in. If you have codes then that will have to be fixed but the relay isn't that much, something you easily do to knock that out of the equation. Many times if I change a pump I change the relays.

Once you do that and if that doesn't fix it then we will have to explore the other things.

Will you be doing the maintenance yourself depending on what it is?

Saturday, November 1st, 2008 AT 11:17 AM