Fuse Block

DANIELJCURRIE
  • 2002 LINCOLN LS
Electrical problem V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 64,371 miles

The "check charging system" warning light came on and went off. This happened from time to time intermittently over several years. There were no symptoms of any problems with the vehicles functional capabilities; no stalling, no hard starting, no sluggish behavior.

Then, recently, the light came on often and went off many times a day. I had it diagnosed by a dealer and was told it was an alternator overcharging at 17.8 volts. I had a different repair shop replace the alternator. After the repair, not only did the same warning light appear, but the "ABS", Advance Track System", and Check Engine Temperature" warniing lights appeared. I took it back and they put in another alternator; thinking the first part was defective, and still the problem wasn't corrected.

I took it to another dealer who identified the problem as a defective fuse block; a $3900 part + 7-8 labor hours to repair. They said they have never seen anything like this before. By coincidence, it was the same dealer who diagnosed the problem, when faced with same warning light situation over 2 years ago, as an alternator and battery (which I never had repaired because a different automative repair shop said that it was not; they replaced a battery cable and connector which seemed to fix it. Until the light appearred and disappeared again several months later).

At the time I first experienced the problem, the car was under warranty. Noone ever diagnosed the problem correctly before. What is my recourse with the manufaturer to have this very rare problem repaired at the manufacturer's cost?

And what could be the cause of such a problem with the fuse block? Could one of the previous repairmen have damaged it during their alternator repair and diagnosis?. (I noticed the fuse block cap was off and the fuses were loose. My car's power shut completely down and stalled just after starting the car and putting it in gear the day after the repair was initially completed when I was trying to take it back in again. I pushed the loose fuses down until I heard a "click" then I had power and the car started; but the warning lights were all on.)

Important note:

Also, noone ever was able to obtain a "code" during the diagnosis that identified the problem; why the warning light came on. The tests always showed "pass" no false codes.

What do you recommend I do?
Tuesday, February 24th, 2009 AT 1:29 PM

JACK42
Usually too much draw through an under-engineered circuit will cause problems like you describe. Unless you can find a shop that will take it apart and isolate/repair the one circuit that is most likely causing this, you may be stuck with replacing/repairing the entire thing.I doubt this was caused by anyone, more likely it was a design fault. As far as recourse goes, It would depend on how many times you had it in for that complaint, and what if any work was done to try to repair it.I doubt you will get very far with that unless it was a recurring issue that they tried to repair many times
Wednesday, February 25th, 2009 AT 2:18 PM
DANIELJCURRIE
Thanks for the input, but what is your recommendation? Should I put in a salvage part from another 2002 LS?
Wednesday, February 25th, 2009 AT 2:49 PM
JACK42
Going on the fact that the dealer had never seen it before, you may be ok with a salvage yard part. Need to be careful about some things, if they are inherent problems to the vehicle, you may be installing another problem
Wednesday, February 25th, 2009 AT 3:11 PM
DANIELJCURRIE
Your comment about putting in a salvage part makes sense.

I could write a book after what I've discovered after my investigations over the past few days. I'll limit it to a sub-chapter.

The only people that care are those that might get an opportunity to repair my car; except for the people at the dealership. They don't care. Ford doesn't care. They won't let me talk to a Ford engineer or the Regional Zone Manager.

Do you know how hard it is to find a "fuse block" for a 2002 Lincoln LS V8? You will not find it at any parts store (or online); even salvage parts are impossible to find! Why?. Because they never fault; except for my car!

Stay tuned; I'll keep you posted on the results of my endeavors to get the car fixed (diagnosed correctly) and what Ford might do to assist.

If anyone has any recommendations, it would be appreciated.
Thursday, February 26th, 2009 AT 9:37 PM
JACK42
Here is a alternator wiring diagram and fuse location along with a guide to help us do your own testing. I am thinking the problem was a loose fuse connection which causes heat and damage. Just repair the damage and you should be fine.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-a-car-fuse

and

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-wiring

Please let us know what happens.

Cheers
Friday, February 27th, 2009 AT 7:29 AM
JDR49
Was this issue ever resolved?
Monday, July 28th, 2014 AT 10:43 AM
SIRUS33
Wait what part cause it still overcharged after rite? And did you drive it while at 17v
Thursday, December 21st, 2017 AT 10:09 PM
KEN
It sounds like it would be a connection problem or the voltage regulator/alternator needs to be replaced.

this guide will give you an idea of what you are in for when doing the job

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-replace-an-alternator

Check out the thread above it has been updated !

Please let us know what you find. We are interested to see what it is.

Cheers, Ken
Saturday, December 23rd, 2017 AT 11:51 AM