Left rear turn signal/brake light

DHEPP
  • 2002 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
I have a 2002 cavalier 4 dr that the left rear turn signal and brake light quit working. Noticed when flasher started working twice as fast as it should. Replaced bulb with proper part and no change. Was told it was probably the turn signal/ light switch. Replaced that. Still no turn signal or brake light. Only thing that works is the marker light. Right side is all working. Where do I go from here?
Thursday, April 2nd, 2015 AT 9:01 AM

Does the high mount brake lamp work? The rear turn and brake lamp use the same bulb filament, just not at the same time. Did you check for voltage anywhere, use a test light. Did you try pushing in on the bulb a little, to see if makes good contact, with either the brake or turn signal on?

At the left rear, when activated, the yellow wire is voltage, check for voltage. The black wire is ground, check that also. The brown wire is for tail lamps.

The problem could be in the wiring circuit, somewhere. Let us know about voltage and ground.

Sometimes when checking the turn signal switch, You can use a jumper on the proper circuits and make them turn signals dance. That way you will know the wiring circuits are ok.
Thursday, April 2nd, 2015 AT 2:42 PM
DHEPP
I had checked voltage at the socket. Marker light had power, had good ground, but nothing out of the brake/ turn signal. High mount light worked and everything on the right side works. Turns out the more I read online about people with this same problem, the more the socket itself was the answer. I unplugged the socket from the wiring harness and checked power again. All good. Then switched the right side socket for the left side and it works fine. Now I have to get to a Chevy dealership to hopefully get new socket as none of the parts stores carry this part. Thanks for your help.
Friday, April 3rd, 2015 AT 9:37 AM
I saw a turn signal lamp socket at rockauto. Com, about 37 bucks and change. That sounds a little steep to me? I haven't done a web search for that part? Have you thought about checking your local salvage yard?
Friday, April 3rd, 2015 AT 10:42 AM
Just to add, found some turn signal sockets on ebay, says it fits cavalier. Well less than 20 bucks, check it out.
Friday, April 3rd, 2015 AT 10:47 AM