2003 KIA SPECTRA ENGINE LIGHT FLASHING

• carmellamarie
  • 2003 Kia Spectra

2003 Kia Spectra 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 69,500 miles

My car started acting up today. I was not able to drive on the highway, it started shaking and was barely moving then My engine light was and is flashing on and off. I checked the oil and that appears to be fine. I smell burning rubber when the engine is running but when I look at the car belts they appear to fine on visual look. Do you think my catalytic converter is going bad? I am pissed, never had a car problem with this kia before and I have had since 11,000 miles and have done all the maintenance required.

I don't have a job right now and would love to donate money but will someone take a promise to donate later when I get a paycheck?

Wednesday, November 5th, 2008 AT 3:53 PM

• Jack42

Try taking it to Autozone or call around and find a shop that will do a scan for you for free, the light is due to the fact that the computer sees a problem, and it stored a code. This code will most likely lead to the fix for your car. Get back to me with your results

Thursday, November 6th, 2008 AT 8:14 AM
  • gorr66

If the car stopped moving with the CEL "blinking" and you smelled rubber then that's a clear indication of a worn timing belt, Perhaps some of the teeth are worn. Trying to keep the car running can seize the engine ! A blinking CEL indicates an engine misfiring problem.

Friday, February 19th, 2010 AT 6:07 PM
  • Jack42

Disregard the previous post. When the light blinks it means the PCM is seeing an issue but hasnt recorded a fault code, when it records the fault thel ight goes solid. Timing belts dont smell like rubber when they break, they just break. Not to mention a broken belt will keep the engine from running at all.

Friday, February 19th, 2010 AT 6:26 PM
  • gorr66

When my car started shaking and the CEL came on "Blinking" I used the code reader and got the code P0302 (Cylinder #2 misfire). Cleared the code and did it again. Same code. Did some research and found that a flashing CEL "WILL" throw a code. Guess it depends on the make of car.

Tuesday, March 9th, 2010 AT 5:15 PM
  • Jack42

Thats a good thing, didnt mean to mislead you, but usually there is no code until it is solid. Is that engine Coil Over Plug (1 coil per cylinder)? If so move the#2 coil to another cylinder and see if the miss follows it. If it does the coil is bad. If not it may be a bad injector, you can do the same thing (swap cylinders) to see if the miss follows it

Wednesday, March 10th, 2010 AT 7:14 AM