CHECK ENGINE LIGHT - SENSOR CODE P0501

2006 Kia Spectra

mgg45usmc

February, 19, 2010 AT 11:19 PM

2006 Kia Spectra 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 73354 miles

Took it to a dealer who tested it and provided the above code. He explained that it was a speed sensor code which usually indicated a bearing problem. Asked for an estimate on repair, and he said it possibly was just a fluke given the really bad weather we were having, and to stop by if it showed up again. Well it showed up again, and I'd like a sense of what it will cost to repair, so I won't be totally blindsided. Thanks.

Dave H

April, 15, 2010 AT 7:16 PM

DTC P0501 VEHICLE SPEED SENSOR A RANGE/PERFORMANCE
GENERAL DESCRIPTION
The Wheel Speed Sensor (WSS) generates a waveform with a frequency proportional to the speed of the vehicle. The signal generated by the WSS informs the ECM not only if the vehicle speed is low or high but also if the vehicle is or is not moving. The ECM uses this signal to control the fuel injection, ignition timing, transaxle shift scheduling and torque converter clutch scheduling. The WSS signal is also used to detect rough road conditions.

Front wheel speed sensors cost $95 each OEM Dealer
Rear sensors cost $150 each OEM dealer

Fronts labor time is 30 minutes to do both sides
rear labor time is 1 hour to do both sides