2004 KIA OPTIMA EXTENDED CRANK TIME

• tony revelle
  • 2004 Kia Optima

2004 Kia Optima 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 185, 25 miles

only after filling with gas, car does not start. Will spin, but no start. After trying it several times, car eventually cranks, and no problems after that. But as soon as I fill it with gas, get in the car, it does not want to start.

Tuesday, June 9th, 2009 AT 3:53 PM

• Jacobandnickolas

The only thing I can think of is you are sturring up dirt in the tank that must be plugging the filter. Have you ever replaced the fuel filter?

Friday, July 10th, 2009 AT 9:57 PM
  • tony revelle

Thank you for your reply.I dont know for sure if the fuel filter has been replaced. But the symptoms are very strange. The customer claims that ONLY when he fills the tank, gets back into the car, it takes longer than normal to crank. And he also claims, that when it does finally crank, it acts as if he has to clear it out. Likes its flooded or something.I could not duplicate his complaint, but he keeps insisting it's a problem.I spoke with the Kia dealer in our erea, and they have had no complaints of this nature. Checked tsb's, and nothing related to this problem. Any and all your input would be GREATLY appreciated. And once again, thanks for your response. Tony. GMAX AUTO. MT. PLEASANT, NC.

Friday, July 10th, 2009 AT 10:15 PM
  • Jacobandnickolas

Tony,
The only thing I can think of is dirt in the tank that is causing the problem. However, one would thing that would get moved around regardless of how much gas he gets. I never heard of this type of problem and like you said, there are no TSB's regarding it. I think I would start by checking the fuel pressure and replacing the fuel filter to see if that helps.

Friday, July 10th, 2009 AT 11:09 PM
  • tony revelle

Thanks for the advice. I really do appreciate it. This may be one of those problems that has to get worse before I can find it.I'm sure you know what I mean. Thank you very much. Tony

Saturday, July 11th, 2009 AT 8:26 AM
  • Jacobandnickolas

Let me know what you find.

Saturday, July 11th, 2009 AT 7:59 PM
  • tony revelle

I sure will. And thanks again

Saturday, July 11th, 2009 AT 8:01 PM