CAR SHUT DOWN

2004 Kia Optima

wejhak

March, 26, 2010 AT 10:04 PM

2004 Kia Optima 4 cyl Automatic 96000 miles

I have my " check engine" light on in my 2004 kia optima. What happened with me is that car completely shut down while driving on the road. It happened 3 times and almost had an accident. Thankfully, I wasn't driving on the freeway. I took it to the dealer to inspect it and they said the problem was with the sensor and I need to replace it. They estimated a cost of $220 to replace the sensor. My question is : could the sensor cause a major shut down to the car like that because I just never heard of a problem like this before? And how much would it cost to replace the sensor?

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

Tanman075

September, 8, 2012 AT 5:21 PM

I have the same exact issue. I read on multiple kia forums to replace the input and output generation sensors on top of the transmission. 178.00$ later I did so myself and given that it was a very simple fix ( It took about a half hour) it did not fix my problem. Now the car shuts off completely and will not start again. I know it is electrical, just don't know exactly what or where. Hope I saved you some cash.