2004 KIA OPTIMA CAR DIES WHILE FUELING

• gkystearns
  • 2004 Kia Optima

Other Category problem
2004 Kia Optima 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 100000 miles

My next door neighbors wife's 04 Optima dies dieing and after fueling. If she leaves it running, while fueling it will die and starts and dies several times before taking off and acting normal. If she shuts it off while fueling, it starts and dies several times before it gets back to normal. She does hear a vacume release when she opens the fuel cap. After the mess up, the car runs great until she needs fuel again. Then it repeats itself. It's weird, and must not like fresh gas?

Thursday, December 13th, 2007 AT 9:46 PM

• dperez2188

My 2004 Kia Optima does the same thing. After refueling the engine starts and dies several times. I need to rev the engine and put the car in gear before the engine dies. Once the car is in gear and moving everything is OK.

I talked this over with my mechanic and he thinks its related to the vapor system, fuel pump (or filter) or the gas cap.

The " check engine" light came on about 2 weeks ago and a computer check shows an emissions problem or a gas cap problem.

Thursday, December 27th, 2007 AT 8:51 PM
  • mike_mac1

Not a fuel problem. Runs great up to 3000 rpms. If I press the excelerator to the floor it will run up then cut down to 3000 then back up and back down.

Friday, January 11th, 2008 AT 10:16 AM