NO BRAKES

2001 Kia Optima

rjmars1

March, 11, 2008 AT 6:48 PM

Brakes problem
2001 Kia Optima 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 60000 miles

I replaced the calipur on the rear passenger side of the vehicle. While I was bleeding the first one(the one that I replaced) my friend pumped the brakes while the bleeder was open. I didnt think anything of it at the time but after I took it for a test ride I had no brakes. The pedal went right to the floor. The car did stop but it took quite a distance. So I went around and bled all the brakes and only really got air out of the other back brake. It did not help. Im pretty the resivor went epmty after the brakes got pumped with the bleeder open. Can you tell me what happened and or what I need to do now to get my brakes back?
Thank You for You're Help,
Randy

mastertechtim

March, 11, 2008 AT 6:59 PM

If in fact you let the master cylinder go dry then you will have to keep bleeding brakes until you get all the air out from all 4 wheels. Remember the air has to travel from master to each wheel so you really have to bleed the mess out of it.

rjmars1

March, 12, 2008 AT 1:18 PM

Will I need a special tool to get the air out of the abs system?

mastertechtim

March, 12, 2008 AT 2:21 PM

NO special tools needed

Brake Master Cylinder Replacement Like a Pro
Brake Shoe/Drum Replacement - Rear
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front
Brake Pads and Rotor Replacement Ford
Brake Pad/rotor Replacement - Front