Fuel pump location for replacement instructions please?

HANASA HANASA
  • 2012 NISSAN ALTIMA
Hi, I have this problem for a month now. When I take my foot of the gas in gear except for fifth and sixth gear the car jerks back and forth and the rpm bounces. The car is a manual and no check engine light is on. The dealership said fuel pump so I want to replace it myself can you help me pelase?
Tuesday, January 24th, 2017 AT 12:39 PM

STEVE W.
Here is a guide to help you step by step with instructions in the diagrams below to show you how on your car. For your car the fuel pump can be accessed through a tap door so you don't need to drop the tank :)

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-replace-an-electric-fuel-pump

This video shows the job being done on a similar car but the process is the same.

https://youtu.be/h_VHxBmecj8

Check out the diagrams (Below). Let us know what happens and please upload pictures or videos of the problem.
+1
Wednesday, January 25th, 2017 AT 5:15 PM
HANASA HANASA
Hey steve thank you for your replay. I finally found a new pump and it fixed the problem thank you.
Tuesday, January 31st, 2017 AT 1:50 AM
DANHIRST
  • 2008 NISSAN ALTIMA
I put a gallon of old fuel in about a half a tank of good gas. It started but then stopped. Won t start now. I added some Heet additives and it won t turn over. Tried to symphony gas but it won t come out.
Tuesday, May 25th, 2021 AT 1:29 PM (Merged)
SCGRANTURISMO

You are probably going to have to drop the fuel tank and drain it then reinstall it and put known good gas back in the tank. I have included for you in the diagrams down below the instructions for the removal and the installation of your vehicle's fuel tank. Please go through the guide and get back to us with how everything turns out.

Thanks,
Alex
2CarPros
RFORMAN35
  • 2005 NISSAN ALTIMA
Been having fuel problems. Gas needle up and down, car sputtering, losing fuel pressure. It feels like the fuel pump. Seems to be working fine it has got a code for fuel temperature sensor.
Hi and thanks for using 2CarPros.com.

The components you mentioned are all replaced as a unit. The fuel level and temperature sensors are a single unit. I have attached picture for you to see. If you want to test the unit, see picture one. It indicates the amount of resistance that should be present based on temperature.

Picture 2 shows the top of the fuel pump sending unit from under the rear seat inspection cover. Picture 3 is a view of the entire pump assembly, and picture 4 shows how the temperature and level components are one unit.

Here is a link that shows in general how a pump is replaced. You are lucky because you can access it from in the vehicle (rear seat) and are not required to remove the tank.

If you decide to replace the pump, here are the directions specific to your vehicle. Starting with picture 5, the remaining pics correlate with these directions.

________________________________
FUEL LEVEL SENSOR UNIT, FUEL FILTER AND FUEL PUMP ASSEMBLY

Removal and Installation For All Models Except PZEV
REMOVAL

WARNING:
Read "General Precautions" before working on the fuel system.
Refer to "General Precautions".

1. Unscrew the fuel filler cap to release the pressure inside the fuel tank.
2. Release the fuel pressure from the fuel lines. Refer to "FUEL PRESSURE RELEASE" (QR25DE), "FUEL PRESSURE RELEASE" (VQ35DE).
3. Disconnect the battery negative terminal.
4. Remove the rear seat bottom. Refer to "Removal and Installation".
5. Turn the four retainers 90 in a clockwise direction and remove the fuel pump inspection hole cover.
6. Disconnect the fuel level sensor, fuel filter, and fuel pump assembly electrical connector, EVAP hose quick connector, and the fuel feed hose quick connector from the fuel level sensor unit, fuel filter, and fuel pump assembly.

Remove the quick connector as follows:
- Hold the sides of the connector, push in tabs and pull out the tube.
- If the connector and the tube are stuck together, push and pull several times until they start to move. Then disconnect them by pulling.

CAUTION:
- The tube can be removed when the tabs are completely depressed. Do not twist it more than necessary.
- Do not use any tools to remove the quick connector.
- Keep the resin tube away from heat. Be especially careful when welding near the tube.
- Prevent acid liquid such as battery electrolyte, etc. from getting on the resin tube.
- Do not bend or twist the tube during installation and removal.
- Only when the tube is replaced, remove the remaining retainer on the tube or fuel level sensor, fuel filter, and fuel pump assembly.
- When the tube or fuel level sensor, fuel filter, and fuel pump assembly is replaced, also replace the retainer with a new one (green colored retainer).
- To keep the connecting portion clean and to avoid damage and foreign materials, cover them completely with plastic bags or something similar.
7. Remove the lock ring using Tool as shown.
Tool number : - (J-46214)

CAUTION:
- Discard the lock ring, do not reuse the lock ring.
- Discard the ring seal, do not reuse the ring seal.
8. Remove the fuel level sensor, fuel filter, and fuel pump assembly.

CAUTION:
- Do not bend the float arm during removal.

INSPECTION AFTER REMOVAL
Inspect the fuel level sensor, fuel filter, and fuel pump for any defects and foreign materials. Replace as necessary.

INSTALLATION
Installation is in the reverse order of removal.
- Install the fuel level sensor, fuel filter, and fuel pump assembly with the fuel feed hose facing the front of the vehicle as shown. Use a new ring seal.
- Connect the quick connector as follows:
- Check the connection for damage or any foreign materials.
- Align the connector with the tube, then insert the connector straight into the tube until a click is heard.

- After the tube is connected, make sure the connection is secure by performing the following checks:
- Pull the tube and the connector to make sure they are securely connected.
- Visually confirm that the two retainer tabs are connected to the quick connector.

INSPECTION AFTER INSTALLATION
Use the following procedure to check for fuel leaks.
1. Turn the ignition switch to ON (without starting the engine) to apply fuel pressure to the fuel system, then check the connections for fuel leaks.
2. Start the engine and let it idle and check for fuel leaks at the fuel system connections.

__________________________________________

Let me know if this helps or if you have other questions.

Take care,
STANEN8871
  • 2001 NISSAN ALTIMA
The signal port of the refueling control valve is broken, car runs fine, no codes. This is a three port round plastic valve that sits in a cavity under the car on top rear drivers side back of the gas tank. I need a procedure on how to replace this valve. Not sure what the signal port does but the valve must be working pushing the vapor fumes to the charcoal canister. One line from vapor cutoff, I signal port to gas filler assembly and the other to canister. Seems really had to get to, to replace.
KEN
Thanks for the picture. You will need to remove the fuel tank to replace that valve, here is a guide and a diagram of the job you need to do to change the valve. There is no easy way to do the repair. This will give you an idea of what it will take to make it happen

Diagram (below). Please let us know what happens and upload pictures or videos of the problem.

TRACEY CLANKIE
  • 2001 NISSAN ALTIMA
Why can't I find this replacement fuel pump. Every site and store I search looks nothing like this and only has one connector on top.
What you are looking at on the car is the fuel pump module. One plug is for the pump and the other is the fuel level sensor. I suspect that you are looking at only a pump when you try to find one. I attached a picture of a bosh pump below. Is that what you are finding? If so, when you remove the assembly from the tank, you will see a pump with one connector. Check out the diagrams (Below).

Here are the directions specific to your vehicle for replacement. The attached pictures correlate with the directions.

Removal

1. Release fuel pressure from fuel line.
Refer to "Fuel Pressure Release", "BASIC SERVICE PROCEDURE".
2. Remove rear seat back and bottom. Refer to "Rear Seat".
3. Remove inspection hole cover located under rear seat.
4. Disconnect connectors and fuel tubes.
5. Remove lock ring using SST KV999G0010 (J38879).
6. Remove tube plate assembly, and disconnect fuel tubes and electrical connectors.
7. Remove fuel pump by pinching the two tabs together as shown in the figure, while lifting out of fuel tank bracket.
- If fuel level sensor unit needs to be removed, pull UP large tab on fuel level sensor unit, opposite the end of the float. The fuel level sensor unit lifts straight out of fuel tank bracket.

Installation
Installation procedure is the reverse order of removal.

CAUTION:
- Always replace O-ring with a new one.
- Align parts with alignment marks.
- Tighten lock ring to specified torque.
- After installation, run engine and check for leaks at connections.

Check out the diagrams (Below). Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.
+1
MARVINJSH
  • 1997 NISSAN ALTIMA
Where is the fuel pump located on the car listed above? What is the best way to access it so it can be replaced?
KASEKENNY1
This is located in the fuel tank but in your vehicle you can access the pump from under the rear seat. I attached the process from the manual on how to replace it. It is pretty straight forward.

Here is a guide that will help as well:

Let us know what questions you have. Thanks

Sponsored links