1998 JEEP WRANGLER ENGINE TURNS OVER BUT WILL NOT START

• dbrown266
  • 1998 Jeep Wrangler

1998 Jeep Wrangler 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 88000 miles

Engine was running fine with no problems when it suddenly stalled and would not restart. Gas tank is 1/2 full. After towing home I performed the basic checks and could not find any obvious problems. I checked for spark at the plugs and could not confirm spark was present. I then checked for spark coming out of the coil and did not find any there as well. I checked out the coil resistence and the primary was below the acceptable level (almost a dead short) and the secondary was within range. I replaced the coil and also the plugs since I was in the neighborhood. Still no spark and no engine start. I changed the Crank Position Sensor and still no change.
Where do I go from here? Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks.

Wednesday, June 25th, 2008 AT 7:58 PM

• 2CarPros Mike
  • 711 posts

Have you scanned the car for engine codes?
Check for power at the coil with the key on.
Is your security light flashing?
If a wrong key was used sometimes security system wont allow the car to start until the right key is inserted.

Thursday, June 26th, 2008 AT 6:22 PM
  • rasmataz

Check for power going into the coil and also inspect and test the camshaft poisitoning sensor in the distributor. Could also be coming from the computer's coil driver-

Thursday, June 26th, 2008 AT 6:28 PM
  • dbrown266

I do not have any power going to the coil when the key is turned on. Security light is not flashing. I do not have the ability to check for codes.

Thursday, June 26th, 2008 AT 8:58 PM
  • rasmataz

Inspect and test the auto shutdown relay ( ASD relay ) it powers the coil and injectors and fuel pump thru its relay-

Thursday, June 26th, 2008 AT 9:40 PM
  • dbrown266

No power to coil while cranking engine. No fuel pressure at relief valve after cranking. Horn, fuel pump adn ASD relay appear to be same part number. I swapped them around and had the same results. Anything else I should check before giving in and taking it to the shop? Thanks.

Friday, June 27th, 2008 AT 8:53 AM
  • 2CarPros Mike
  • 711 posts

Check for power at and thru the ignition switch.

Friday, June 27th, 2008 AT 11:46 AM
  • rasmataz

Triple check the ASD relay for power and follow thru with the suggestion on the ignition switch

Check these fuses see below

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_fuses_2.jpg

Friday, June 27th, 2008 AT 1:34 PM