'04 Jeep Wrangler suddenly running rough and has error codes

YESITSME
  • 2004 JEEP WRANGLER
I have an '04 Jeep Wrangler with no modifications to the engine, 40k miles, manual transmission five speed, inline 6 cylinder.

The engine was running fine and then slowly over the course of a few minutes it began to run rough and had loss of power. The engine light came on as I tried to accelerate it would run rougher.

When checking the engine codes I get P0305 and P1596.

I have not been off roading with it recently and I also have not been through any type of water, mud, or dirt that I could think would have caused anything to become dirty.

I replaced all the spark plugs knowing they were due for a change and thinking that one might be fowled. This did not make any improvements.

Is it possible the Throttle Position Sensor could cause this trouble? If so can I simple replace this sensor or is there anything special to consider when replacing it?

If it's not the TPS and other ideas what might be causing this?

Doug
Tuesday, July 31st, 2007 AT 10:36 PM

KIN CHAN
I think u r still under the 100k warranty. Chk it 1st b4 repairing
Wednesday, August 1st, 2007 AT 8:30 AM
YESITSME
Just got off the phone with the service department at the dealer and they are saying that a cylinder misfiring is not covered under power train warranty. Now I wonder what they consider the power train.I always thought the engine was required to make the Jeep move but I could be wrong.

They also said that sensors and such that would give the Speed Control Always High error code 1596 is also not covered under the power train warranty.

As usual it sounds as though the warranty covers parts that simple don't don't fail.

Any other advice on this would be helpful as it sounds like the warranty is worthless and I'll be doing this one myself.
Friday, August 3rd, 2007 AT 11:27 AM
DANNYRANNY1995
I have the same problem with my 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Special Edition. It has the 4.0 with the inline 6 and is 4x4. Almost 116,000 miles 5 Speed Automatic (I think)

I was driving today and the MIL warning light came on. I went to put gas in my car, and I kinda overflowed it a little. But no worries, it still ran perfectly.

I then came home, splashed some water on the tank by the fuel door. I did the three key movements trick, and I got the following codes:

P1596 (Cruise control fault)
P0305 (Cylinder #5 misfire)

I then recalled that the cruise control wasn't working properly, and had suddenly accelerated to over 100 MPH (let me tell you that was really scary).
A few times, after it sits for 3 days, I go and turn it on, and it cranks and cranks and cranks, and then grrrrrrrrrcchhhhhhhhhh (like the grind a car makes when you turn the key while it is running, I did that in my Volkswagen one day). It doesn't start, until I put my foot slightly on the gas pedal and then it will start.

Also, there's a rattle over by the exhaust pipe on the passenger's side. It does this rattle when stopped in Park, Reverse, and Drive. And but doesn't rattle when I accelerate or rev. It doesn't do it in neutral, but in 2 and 1 it does it too.
Friday, November 9th, 2012 AT 12:14 AM