97 Jeep Cherokee Wet Floors, Won't Start

ANDERS110
  • 1997 JEEP CHEROKEE
Had this vehicle for about 9 months. I've started to notice that it randomly will hesitate for a moment on take off, but then it gets up and goes. Today everything went downhill though. I drove it this morning and came home parked it in the driveway for a few hours until work. Went out to leave for work and it wouldn't start. I jumped it using a jump pack, and found that I had not left any lights or anything on so I was confused. On the way to the babysitters (only 1/2 mile away) the battery gauge jumped as high as it would go and then the check gauges light came on. I pulled into the driveway and turned off the car in hopes that would help, however it would not start again and then I started hearing a weird sound from the passenger side under the dash. We found that if we opened the glove box the sound stopped, if we closed it the sound started again. My husband removed a little plug and the sound stopped. We jumped it again and took it home, but the battery gauge did the same thing. While inspecting the car we found that the front floor was damp and the rear floor was completely sopping wet. Any ideas? I'm completely car illiterate and don't have a bunch of money to be putting into uneeded parts. Anybody that can help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much
Tuesday, August 21st, 2007 AT 11:32 PM

GRICHARDS
Noise in dash, Alt. Gauge, sopping wet. OK, sounds like 3 seperate problems. The noise in/under the dash stopping when glove box opened is one of those "gotta be there" sounds, but might be related to having a loose trim panel.
The sopping wet on floorboard sounds like the A.C. Evaporator condensate drain hose is clogged, broken or loose. (Please see my response to "Jeep A.C. Leak on first page of this forum for more details).
The Altenator gauge maxing out could be a charging system/altenator problem, OR - check the cells in your battery. If your cell(s) are low on water this could cause the altenator to overcharge (easy check). With the altenator, you can remove it and take it to a local parts store where they will bench test it for free (Autozone or call around) and tell you if it's still good. Another thing to do BEFORE removing the altenator - you have a 97 Cherokee, and it should have an onboard "self-diagnosis" feature that will tell the engine computer to spit out codes for problem area(s). Please see my response to "Cranks, but no start" on the first forum page for detailed instructions on how to do this. If it gives you a "41" code, the problem will be charging/altenator related and yu just might have to take the alt. For testing. Hope this helps a little, GOOD LUCK!
Saturday, August 25th, 2007 AT 12:55 PM
GRICHARDS
Went so fast I almost forgot to mention - Make sure your battery IS still good! Test with multimeter if you can, take to parts store for free test if you can't. Dead battery/dead cell(s) = high altenator ooutput.
Saturday, August 25th, 2007 AT 1:52 PM