2002 Jeep Cherokee Overheating Transmission

VALERIEB
  • 2002 JEEP CHEROKEE

2002 Jeep Cherokee V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 62000 miles

To make a very long story short, I had the 60,000 mile service done at a local place. They put the wrong filter in the transmission, and it blew on the way home. (2 miles) They "replaced" it with a "new" transmission, and it has overheated and I have had no transmission four times since. I live in the mountains, and it's fine for a few miles in town, but if I go off the mountain and come back up, it overheats. It is now at the Jeep dealer (has been since Tuesday) and I am without a vehicle once again. They can't get it to overheat, but they haven't driven it up the mountain, either. I am sick and tired of not having a car (my only one) and am at my wits' end. Anything I might be able to tell the Jeep people? HELP!

Saturday, May 17th, 2008 AT 9:03 PM

MHPAUTOS

Hi there,

I would be concerned that the external transmission oil cooler is part blocked and may be the cause of some of your troubles.

Please consider a donation to help us answer more questions.
Sunday, May 18th, 2008 AT 5:34 AM
VALERIEB

Thanks for your reply. They actually flushed out the lines the third time I had it in there. It overheated and it was spilling transmission fluid, and had no power to get over a speed bump. When I took it to Jeep on Tuesday, they found water in the transmission pan, flushed it out, and up the hill I went. What happens is that the transmission shifts really hard and then the Check Engine light comes on. I just wanted to get home, and I barely made it into the middle of the driveway, when it was smoking so badly that I got out for fear it was going to blow up. Jeep can't find any burnt transmission fluid.

Sunday, May 18th, 2008 AT 9:35 AM
MARKYZ

Toss in a bottle of Lucas Transmission Fix :)

Thursday, July 3rd, 2008 AT 4:04 AM