OVERHEATING TRANSMISSION

2002 Jeep Cherokee

ValerieB

May, 17, 2008 AT 9:03 PM

2002 Jeep Cherokee V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 62000 miles

To make a very long story short, I had the 60,000 mile service done at a local place. They put the wrong filter in the transmission, and it blew on the way home. (2 miles) They " replaced" it with a " new" transmission, and it has overheated and I have had no transmission four times since. I live in the mountains, and it's fine for a few miles in town, but if I go off the mountain and come back up, it overheats. It is now at the Jeep dealer (has been since Tuesday) and I am without a vehicle once again. They can't get it to overheat, but they haven't driven it up the mountain, either. I am sick and tired of not having a car (my only one) and am at my wits' end. Anything I might be able to tell the Jeep people? HELP!

mhpautos

May, 18, 2008 AT 5:34 AM

Hi there,

I would be concerned that the external transmission oil cooler is part blocked and may be the cause of some of your troubles.

ValerieB

May, 18, 2008 AT 9:35 AM

Thanks for your reply. They actually flushed out the lines the third time I had it in there. It overheated and it was spilling transmission fluid, and had no power to get over a speed bump. When I took it to Jeep on Tuesday, they found water in the transmission pan, flushed it out, and up the hill I went. What happens is that the transmission shifts really hard and then the Check Engine light comes on. I just wanted to get home, and I barely made it into the middle of the driveway, when it was smoking so badly that I got out for fear it was going to blow up. Jeep can't find any burnt transmission fluid.

MarkyZ

July, 3, 2008 AT 4:04 AM

Toss in a bottle of Lucas Transmission Fix : )

Thermostat Replacement Mercedes Benz C230
Radiator Replacement Mercedes Benz ML 500
Thermostat Replacement Chrysler PT Cruiser
Thermostat Replacement Chevrolet Blazer