2001 Jeep Cherokee Brake Lights do not work

JEEP001
  • 2001 JEEP CHEROKEE
I have a 2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 2wd. I recently found out that my brake lights are not working. All of the running lights/parking lights work on the front and rear but nothing happens when I push the brake pedal. My turn signals also work. I have checked all the fuses and bulbs. They all seem to be okay. All other lights are in working order. What components could be at fault and is this something I can fix myself? The brakes themselves work fine. It's just the brake lights that aren't working.
Saturday, December 13th, 2008 AT 3:40 PM

BMRFIXIT
Does the 3rd brake light work ?

Check brake light switch and fuses
-2
Saturday, December 13th, 2008 AT 3:45 PM
Check the brake light switch follow the brake pedal arm to the brake support bracket. Unplug it and jump the connector-did the light come On? If so adjust or replace the switch.
+1
JEEP001
No, the third brake light does not work. I have checked the fuses and all seem to be okay. I will examine the brake switch. Is it easy to find and get to?
Saturday, December 13th, 2008 AT 8:25 PM
JEEP001
What is the easiest way to "jump" the switch? When the switch is jumped, will the lights stay on even if the brake is not pressed?

Thanks for your input.
Saturday, December 13th, 2008 AT 8:27 PM
BMRFIXIT
Switch is located at top of brake paddle
use a test light check for power at the terminal
is u have power jump the terminals (use a fused wire and connect the two terminals )and if lights comes on switch no good need a new switch
good luck
+1
Saturday, December 13th, 2008 AT 9:47 PM