BRAKE LIGHTS DO NOT WORK

2001 Jeep Cherokee

jeep001

December, 13, 2008 AT 3:40 PM

2001 Jeep Cherokee 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 124000 miles

I have a 2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 2wd. I recently found out that my brake lights are not working. All of the running lights/parking lights work on the front and rear but nothing happens when I push the brake pedal. My turn signals also work. I have checked all the fuses and bulbs. They all seem to be okay. All other lights are in working order. What components could be at fault and is this something I can fix myself? The brakes themselves work fine. It's just the brake lights that aren't working.

BMRFIXIT

December, 13, 2008 AT 3:45 PM

Does the 3rd brake light work ?

Check brake light switch and fuses

December, 13, 2008 AT 3:45 PM

Check the brake light switch follow the brake pedal arm to the brake support bracket. Unplug it and jump the connector-did the light come On? If so adjust or replace the switch.

jeep001

December, 13, 2008 AT 8:25 PM

No, the third brake light does not work. I have checked the fuses and all seem to be okay. I will examine the brake switch. Is it easy to find and get to?

jeep001

December, 13, 2008 AT 8:27 PM

What is the easiest way to " jump" the switch? When the switch is jumped, will the lights stay on even if the brake is not pressed?

Thanks for your input.

BMRFIXIT

December, 13, 2008 AT 9:47 PM

Switch is located at top of brake paddle
use a test light check for power at the terminal
is u have power jump the terminals (use a fused wire and connect the two terminals )and if lights comes on switch no good need a new switch
good luck

Replace Your Turn Signal Switch Like a Pro
Fog Light Bulb Replacement Mini Cooper
Reverse Light Bulb Replacement Chevrolet
Headlight Bulb Replacement Acura MDX
Headlight Bulb Replacement GMC Yukon