1999 Jeep Cherokee Water sloshing sound coming from passeng

SWATAZ
  • 1999 JEEP CHEROKEE
I have a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0 L 6- cyl engine. As of late, I have heard the sounds of water sloshing around coming from the front seat passenger side.

I am aware of the AC drainage problems that previous years of this truck have had, and the design "flaw" that made it impossible to get to the drain from the engine side, necessitating drilling a hole from the inside and trying to clear it out.

I am fairly certain (please correct me if not) that the 'WJ' 99-04 trucks were redesigned so that the drainage does not go directly into the car frame, and that it is visible on the passenger side of the engine side of the firewall. It certainly seems to match up with the housing on the inside.

I was thinking that maybe I was barking up the wrong tree but when I run the AC, nothing drains. Compressed air blown in this drain hole does not seem to help, and I am wary about poking a wire any further than I have (just the opening so far) for fear I could damage something.

So far, no water has made it into my interior, but once summer comes, it is probably only a matter of time before something gives.

Any suggestions?
Thursday, January 10th, 2008 AT 1:53 PM

JACK42
If you have blown compressed air in there I doubt there is any blockage. Sounds like it may be the coolant running through the heater core. Has the cooling system been low lately or been opened up for service? If so it may have an air pocket in the heater core.
Friday, January 11th, 2008 AT 7:30 AM
SWATAZ
Jack-

Thanks for the quick response.I am still worried because, like I said before, NO water drips from this drain when the A/C is on.

But in answer to your question -- actually, a couple of months before I took ownership of this Jeep (my brother in law owned it before me) almost the entire cooling system was replaced. The radiator, sensor, water pump, etc.

If this is indeed the case, how does one rid themselves of that air pocket? Is this what is known as 'burping' the system?
Friday, January 11th, 2008 AT 8:14 AM
JACK42
If it isnt hot out, you might not get the condensation to cause the water drip. The systems usually will rid themselves of air, not sure of any particular procedure for doing this. It could also be cause by the coolant flowing too fast through the core. Sometimes the stock hoses and fittings will restrict it just enough to stop this from happening
Friday, January 11th, 2008 AT 10:41 AM
SWATAZ
I asked about the burping as I have seen some references to that process on the net with older Jeeps, usually when people change their coolant. Involves pitching the vehicle forward among other things. Sometimes too much info is a bad thing. Lol

So, another thought here is that the use of aftermarket hoses and fittings during that cooling system overhaul are not doing a good enough job of keeping the flow at the correct speed?

This is the first vehicle I have owned that has shown this kind of a quirk. I guess I can deal with the annoying sloshing sound as long as it doesn't affect the performance of the vehicle or end up being a leak into my interior.

But.I guess we've tapped this subject out though, eh?

Thanks a lot for the feedback!
-1
Friday, January 11th, 2008 AT 11:00 AM