STEERING WHEEL SHAKING

1998 Jeep Cherokee

danny4h

August, 12, 2008 AT 11:28 PM

Shakes or Wobbles problem
1998 Jeep Cherokee 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 140000 miles

At low speeds I can hear a vibration but as soon as I get above 55 the wheel shakes violently. When I take corners it shakes also no matter what speed. Mostlly the shaking is on the passenger side. Please help, I have replaced all the u joints aligned the front end and balanced all the tires.
Dan

mhpautos

August, 12, 2008 AT 11:49 PM

Hi there,

If you have a vibration in the steering wheel, the problem will be in the steering linkages, suspension, front wheels or bearings. If it shakes under braking it will be the front rotors at fault, start with having these items inspected for any faults.

danny4h

August, 14, 2008 AT 11:52 PM

Ok how much will a bearing replacement cost and can I do it by myself? My grandfather says its the inner bearing but I want to make sure

mhpautos

August, 15, 2008 AT 12:00 AM

Hi there,

if you suspect faulty bearings, first jack up the wheel and feel for any play, (top to bottom) if there is excessive play service the bearings if OK, have a wheel balance inspection done.

Replace Tie Rod End
Steering Pump Replacement Mercedes Benz