1996 Jeep Cherokee Crank shaft position sensor

PAULSTT
  • 1996 JEEP CHEROKEE
44,400 island miles, straight 6. After my "mechanic" replaced the water pump, the truck began starting very hard--- you have to give it alot of gas, and then once it does start, it smokes (white) and the engine will either rev way up, or chug and stall. After about 30 seconds it seems to be fine and then it runs right. He says a third of the crank shaft position sensor does note have continuity. Would a bad crank shaft position sensor cause the hard start followed by irregular revving?

thanks!
Paul
Tuesday, January 23rd, 2007 AT 4:28 PM

CARUNDELL
Hey Paul,
Very possible, yet the only definitive test for a crank sensor performance is with a lab scope! Does your tech have this capability? Let me know! Also he can contact me if he needs more info/help!

Chris
Tuesday, January 23rd, 2007 AT 5:16 PM
PAULSTT
Hey Paul,

Chris[/quote:0d5f9c08ef]
I doubt it. He said that he ohm'd it out. Here on St. Thomas it is hard to find competent people. I think that I'm all done with him. It looks easy enough to replace. Any tips or tricks?
Paul
Tuesday, January 23rd, 2007 AT 5:37 PM
CARUNDELL
Paul,
Nope, pretty straight forward. Let me know!

Chris
Wednesday, January 24th, 2007 AT 3:56 AM
PAULSTT
Thank you very much. I replaced the NSS last weekend and the CPS today. Starts and runs well. Again thank yhou for your help
-Paul
Sunday, February 4th, 2007 AT 10:10 AM
CARUNDELL
Paul,
Thats Great! And your very welcome!

Chris
Sunday, February 4th, 2007 AT 10:14 AM