1996 Jeep Cherokee Bad idle and bogging desperate for help

TROOPER 1
  • 1996 JEEP CHEROKEE
I have an occasional problem where my Cherokee sometimes dies at idle or almost dies. Every now and then it bogs going down the road. I am almost lost here and I am not a car idiot. I have replaced a distributor, fuel pump, fuel filter and coil very recently. Within the last couple years I have replaced the map, Iac, Tbs, brain box, crank sensor, ignition switch, and just about everything else electrical as well. The problem happens at no specific time. At idle long enough it starts to miss and sometimes dies. But usually seems to start back up easily. Just yesturday my wife took it out to get gas and 2 minutes later dead. I eventually got it started by purging the fuel line a couple times and it fired up. I am thinking the fuel regulator which I cant find anywhere. No lights ever come up when it happens. There were old codes saying coil, o2 sensor which were replaced. This is my third coil and second fuel pump. PLEASE HELP I am starting to lose my mind.
Monday, April 6th, 2009 AT 8:58 PM

JACK42
The fuel pressure regulator is on the fuel rail and has a vacuum line to the intake, but Im not sure if that is it. When it dies adnwont start back up (before you purged the fuel lines) what was missing? Did it have spark? Fuel pressure? I have sen the ASD (auto shutdown relay) act strange when they get hot and cant handle the current draw through them. Has it set any newer codes since you cleared the coil and o2 codes?
Tuesday, April 7th, 2009 AT 7:44 AM
TROOPER 1
Actually my 96 doesnt have the fuel regulator on the fuel rail, mine unfortunately is in the tank. I am pretty sure there isnt a return line as well. Last night before I asked for help I removed the rail to blow out the fuel line all the way back and tried cleaning the injectors on the outside. Speaking of relays about a year ago it stalled and woundnt start and found out the fuel relay blew out. I replaced it for my wife and a mile down the street it blew again and replaced it with one out of my 99 and drove it home. Since then no more blown relays for the fuel. At that time I replaced the fuel pump the first time. I dont really think the problem is relay related. Just the other day iI purged the fuel line and it fired up to get it home as quick as possible. Is it it possible that the fuel relay is wired to the fuel regulator. If the regulator sometimes hickups I could see how that could heat up the relay. Does the ignition coil and o2 sensor share a common wire with the regulator? Those Chiltons and Haynes only tell basic stuff and never tell you really how to test things. Thank you for your help it is very appreciated.
Tuesday, April 7th, 2009 AT 3:26 PM
JACK42
Exactly what Jeep Cherokke is it and what is the 8th digit of the vin #?
Tuesday, April 7th, 2009 AT 4:27 PM
TROOPER 1
The 8th digit is an S and it is a sport. Thanks for the quick reply.
Tuesday, April 7th, 2009 AT 4:45 PM
JACK42
The ASD relay powers up the fuel pump relay and the ignition/coil circuit, ECM. Send me back your email adn I will send you the diagrams for the ECM wiring, If I post them here you probably wont be able to read them
Wednesday, April 8th, 2009 AT 7:42 AM
TROOPER 1
My email is kimmielz1@hotmail. Com
Thank you for the info and I'll get back to you tonight.
Wednesday, April 8th, 2009 AT 9:45 AM
TROOPER 1
Looking forward to youe E-mail. As of now I cant even get the fuel pump to prime.
Thursday, April 9th, 2009 AT 3:01 PM
TROOPER 1
Well I have spark.
Thursday, April 9th, 2009 AT 5:41 PM