1993 Isuzu Trooper Won't Start

SIXFT6MIKE
  • 1993 ISUZU TROOPER
The engine will crank but won't start. Battery is good, gets fire (new plugs), gets fuel (new fuel pump), alternator tested OK, ignition module tested OK, sprayed ether into the intake and still doesn't act like it wants to start, will just keep turning over, new timing belt. The engine is not the original. The engine transmission and transfer case is from another trooper. Ran fine for a week and then bogged out and hasn't started since. I am and everyone else i've asked are simply puzzled. I've had it in 2 different shops and no one can tell me why it won't start or get it started.
Thursday, May 20th, 2010 AT 2:12 PM

Do below to find out what's causing it -if its fuel or spark problem.

Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine atleast 3/16 away from ground-have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it

If both fuel and spark is present-check the valve and ignition timing, this will lead you to problems
with compression and valves opening and closing at the wrong time/broken or jumped timing
belt/chain
+1
Thursday, May 20th, 2010 AT 3:17 PM
SIXFT6MIKE
Here is a list of everything replaced;

engine
transmission
transfer case;

fuel pump (during engine installation)
fuel strainer basket
alternator (just before last engine died)
crankshaft sensor
ecm fuse (under hood, wasn't popped but had a charred look)
timing belt
spark plugs
battery

ICM tested OK at parts store 3 consecutive times
alternator tested OK 3 consecutive times (just in case)

there is good fuel
there is good spark

I'm looking at replacing the ECM, if there is nothing else to eliminate, but with everything else I'm not 100% this is the problem either.
Saturday, May 29th, 2010 AT 7:43 PM
Are the injectors pulsing when cranking the engine over.
+1
Saturday, May 29th, 2010 AT 7:50 PM
SIXFT6MIKE
Na, I haven't gotten ahold of a noid light yet, i'll try and pick one up tomorrow and try that and get back
Saturday, May 29th, 2010 AT 7:59 PM
SIXFT6MIKE
Ok i'll be honest I haven't gotten a noid light, for one because I have to take off the whole intake to get to them and two I don't think it is a fuel problem because, all the plugs have fuel on them, and even shooting it with ether, it doesn't want to even try to start.
-1
Wednesday, June 2nd, 2010 AT 8:30 AM
AUPMEYER
Did you ever get your trooper started? I am having exactly the same thing going on.
Thursday, September 25th, 2014 AT 11:30 AM