1991 ISUZU TROOPER STARTING AND DYING

• shortstuff5
  • 1991 Isuzu Trooper

Engine problem
1991 Isuzu Trooper 4 cyl Four Wheel Drive Manual 190000 miles

I have a 1991 isuzu trooper 2 and when I start it up it will start with no problem run for a few seconds then die like somebody just turned it off, what would be the cause of this?

Friday, December 28th, 2007 AT 3:24 PM

• blackop555

Does it fire right back up after it dies out or do you have to wait a few hours then it does the same thign again.

If it doesnt start right up does starting fluid or carb cleaner sprayed directly in the throttle body fire it up?

Friday, December 28th, 2007 AT 7:52 PM
  • shortstuff5

Yes it will fire right back up as many times as you want it too until the battery goes dead. A mechanic had mentioned it might be an ignition switch but im not for sure.

Sunday, December 30th, 2007 AT 12:06 PM
  • blackop555

Try cranking it then manually holding it back just far enough for it not to crank, if it runs change the switch.

When the car starts to die, give it a shot of starting fluid, does it still die?

Sunday, December 30th, 2007 AT 1:27 PM
  • shortstuff5

Today I put in the new ignition switch but I did the same thing, it would start up then died. Well me and my uncle was messing around with the fuses and figured out if we pull the engine relay it would start and stay running but if it was in it would start then die. Both of us is kind of stumped what this would be. Also we have no clue what the " engine relay" actually does. On another note we found out I wasn't getting a charge back to the battery so we determined the alternator is bad which we are replacing tomm. Just out of curiosity would a faulty alternator cause this problem.

Monday, December 31st, 2007 AT 10:26 PM
  • blackop555

Not really, especially if it runs when you pull the " engine relay" try a new relay.

Tuesday, January 1st, 2008 AT 10:19 AM
  • shortstuff5

Well we tried a new relay and it does the same thing. We are kind of clueless now.

Tuesday, January 1st, 2008 AT 4:03 PM