Instrument cluster not working

JEFF1432
  • 1997 DODGE CARAVAN
  • 1,600,000 MILES
The instrument cluster inoperable, No PRNDL, Fuel, odometer, temperature. Retrieve P0106. Check Power and Ground at the cluster okay. Red/white 12V key On. I have questions how to check CC BUS (-) and (+). What should be the reading if the engine running? Please can you guide me what to check next. Thank you!
Thursday, September 24th, 2020 AT 3:02 PM

KASEKENNY1
This is the CCD bus or Chrysler Collision Detection Data Bus. The voltage when the bus is idle (no communications being sent should be 2.49 on the + and 2.51 on the -. When there is data being sent they will change but should always add up to 5 volts. If you want more info, visit this website:

https://mopar1973man.com/cummins/articles.html/24-valve-2nd-generation_50/51_engine/electrical/ccd-chrysler-collision-detection-data-bus-r329/

This is very detailed and thorough about how this CCD bus works.

Let us know if you have questions but if you have power and ground and all the gauges are not working then the cluster is the issue.

Let me know what you find and we can go from there. Thanks
+1
Thursday, September 24th, 2020 AT 4:59 PM
JEFF1432
Hello KESEKENNY1,

Thank you! I did check CCD BUS (-) 2.48- 2.50 volts and CCD BUS (+) 2.49- 2.50 volts with engine running. Is this a good reading to you? I have question on pin #13 on the instrument cluster connector? The EWD that I m using doesn t show what circuit.
Saturday, September 26th, 2020 AT 3:54 PM
KASEKENNY1
That is perfect voltage. Good job. I attached what we have for pin 13 of the cluster. Should be a black wire which is appears to be a ground wire.
+1
Sunday, September 27th, 2020 AT 9:46 AM
JEFF1432
Hello KaseKenny1,

Thank you for the info. Check pin 13 measure good ground. So next step is that I went and pick up a instrument cluster from the wrecking yard. Similar instrument cluster. Plug connector and check operation, the gauges still not working. Does the used gauge need to be reset? I notice that fuel ant temperature gauge moves a little when ignition cylinder turn to "on" position. Any Idea what to check next?
Sunday, September 27th, 2020 AT 3:48 PM
Hi guys. These are notorious for bad solder connections of the connector terminals. The last one I had was a 1999 model with a crank/no-start condition. Would start and run after the owner pounded on the dash a few times.
Sunday, September 27th, 2020 AT 8:16 PM
JEFF1432
Hello CARADIODOC,

Thank you for the info. I opened the cluster inspect solder circuit board it seems okay, no sign of crack on the solder connections. The engine crank and starts. Do you think I should try to re- solder the connection? Thank you again.
Monday, September 28th, 2020 AT 8:11 PM
I just posted that valuable comment so it wouldn't be overlooked. If you know what a bad solder joint looks like, check all the terminals in the connector. If you don't know what they look like, look for a tv repair shop that's still in business in your area. Anyone there can inspect them for you and show you any that are questionable. At my cousin's shop, he would touch up those connections for free if he wasn't busy with his head stuck in a customer's tv. You can also look for a community college with an electronics program. Any of the instructors can check the solder connections for you.

Be aware this is a two-sided circuit board, but typically if a solder connection is broken, it will show up on both sides. It seems the pins in the corners of the plug develop the broken connections most often.
+1
Monday, September 28th, 2020 AT 8:41 PM

Sponsored links