How to remove starter

GPAVLAT
  • 1999 INFINITI G20

Electrical problem 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 150000 miles

What is the procedure to remove a starter on my car. I love this site.

Sunday, January 10th, 2010 AT 5:42 PM

INFINITIG20

Remove air cleaner, locate starter bolts from the topside, raise up vehicle, remove wires, remove starter

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/493184_IMG_0043_1.jpg

+3
Friday, March 5th, 2010 AT 2:04 AM
2CARPROS KEN

Start by disconnecting the battery and raising the car up safely. Here are three guides that will help you get the job done by seeing what you are in for when fixing your car.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-replace-a-starter-motor

and

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/jack-up-and-lift-your-car-safely

and

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-cranks-but-wont-start

Remove or disconnect the following:

Negative battery cable
Starter insulator
Starter harness connector and cable
Starter mounting bolt and nut
Starter

To install

Install or connect the following:

Starter. Torque the bolts to 27 ft. lbs. (36 Nm). Starter harness connector and cable
Starter insulator

Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.

Cheers, Ken

Sunday, November 26th, 2017 AT 8:59 PM
2CARPROS-ARCHIVES
  • 1999 INFINITI G20

1999 Infiniti G20 mileage: 106,000. What needs to be done to remove the starter on the G-20? The bolts that hold it come in from the opposite direction and I can barely see one of them, let alone get a socket on it. I have pinpointed the starting problem to the solenoid, but the starter and solenoid are sold as a unit, which is okay, but I still need to remove the starter. Can this be done at home, with the car up on ramps or is this a job for the dealer?

Sunday, November 26th, 2017 AT 9:00 PM (Merged)
2CARPROS-ARCHIVES

If you have any doubts, it would be better and safer to have the work done by a reliable service center or dealer. However, it you feel comfortable with your ability, a Mitchell, online repair manual for your make of car will have diagrams showing what you are looking for. The manuals and books give step-by-step instructions.

+1
SHANE456
  • 1999 INFINITI G20

I cant seem to get to the starter, am I suppose to take parts off to get to the starter? And is there a picture or video on this matter at hand

KHLOW2008

Our database does not have any information on removal and installation.

Yes, you need to remove certain components to get to the starter, one of which is a Y bracket.

-1
FIXITMR

Try this.

-1
SHANE456

Thank you

-1
TNAKAMORI
  • 1999 INFINITI G20

1999 Infiniti G20 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 40000 miles

hi ok so my car is an infiniti g20 1999. I recently replaced the battery about 6 months ago. And the starter about 4 months ago. And about 2 days ago my car was having a hard time starting so I bought a new battery thinking that was the problem. But it still was putting in alot of effort to start. Then that night when I tried to start the cr it wouldnt start.

So I went and got a new starter. And had someone put it in for me. We got it started at first but now if you turn on the car and turn off the car the gear in the starter is still spinning.
And without putting the key in the ignition if I hook up the battery the gear spins on its own. I have no idea what else it could be. My problem is similar to somone elses question but its weird how the gear spins when the car isnt even on. Can u help me?

Sounds like you're using used starters. If it is the little silver Nippendenso starter, they commonly develop worn solenoid contacts. Usually that results in an intermittent kind of loud clunk from the starter but it won't spin. Repeatedly cycling the ignition switch from "run" to "crank" will eventually get it to crank. Sometimes the plunger contact gets wedged between the worn away spots in the contacts. That happened once on my Grand Caravan. Had to pop the solenoid cover off and pry the plunger loose.

The contacts can be replaced for 20 bucks, but most people just replace the entire starter. Used starters are very likely to have he same worn contacts.

JAMESNAK

Did you find an answer to your problem? Oddly enough this is exactly what is happening to my 2000 G20 with 105k miles.
Started to crank slow. I replaced the battery, no change. Starter failed, had car towed and a new starter installed. Got it home, the next time I tryed to start the starter just spun after the key was turned off untill it smoked and burnt out. Probably about 3 minutes. Took the car back to repair shop, they replaced the starter. Got it home again. Same thiing. Starter spins without the key.
You mentioned in your questions you problem was similar to someone else. Where did you see that problem? Did they have any other insight? Nobody seems to know what the problem is.

J SMITHSON
  • 2000 INFINITI G20

2000 Infiniti G20 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 68,000 miles

When can I expect to get an answer on starter removal procedures for this vehicle? I thought by giving a donation would expidite the process. I can see that this seems to be bogus. Typical if several internet sites these days

INFINITIG20

In order to remove the starter, you need to remove the air cleaner on top of the engine and remove the two bolts basicly by feeling for them (make sure you have a good selection of extensions and wobbles, then jack the car up and remove the two wires, it then can be guided down. i have done it 3 times now.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/493184_IMG_0044_1.jpg

J SMITHSON
  • 2000 INFINITI G20

My question is in regard to the removal of the starter on the G20. I have a factory tech. Manual for this vehicle and, as good as it is overall, I cannot find starter removal procedures. The only thing the tech. Manual shows is a figure of the starter with the two mounting bolts. I need to remove the starter to lubricate the bushings as they are making noise on the first start up of the day.
I have been under the vehicle and can see the starter but it appears there are several components that have to be removed to get access to it.
Any help you may be able to give me would be appreciated.

Thanks,
J. Smithson

RACEFAN966

First off never heard of removing a starter to lubricate anyway here you go. First remove the positive starter cable then you remove the wires from the back of the solinoid (make note of what bolt or screw they came off from). Then remove the two bolts. They are removed from the starter side so the top bolt may not be able to be seen you will probably need to go by feel.

-1
YULAEV

My manual says a) "remove the air intake"; 2) undo two bolts.
When I got under the car, I can see the starter, but the bolts are screwed in from the engine's side.
I cannot see bolts from under the car. I undid the air intake hoses.

There is a mess of the hoses behind the engine where starter is supposedly located.
Any pointers are appreciated.