• Tiny
  • Bob242
  • 1996 Ford Explorer
  • 175,000 miles

After dropping my child off at school, I went to park and shut off the engine. The key free spun and would not shut off the engine. I ended up shutting down the engine by pulling a fuse and disconnecting the battery since the radio stayed on. After some googling, it sounded like the ignition lock cylinder had broken. I removed that and it seemed fine. After putting it back in and as I was turning the key I can see a plastic looking rod sliding up and down. Looking down the steering column I can see a little hole a few inches down and when the key is in the on position I see the continuation of this rod, But when I turn the key off, I see an end of the rod and disappears as I continue to turn the key off. What is the name of this plastic rod and is it possible to replace it? Thanks.

Friday, May 17th, 2013 AT 8:38 AM

1 Answer

  • Tiny
  • hmac300
  • Expert
  • 42,940 posts

You didn't replace the ignition switch you replaced the lock and keyif the rod broke or the switch is bad you'llhave to get the rod at a dealer I think. But check auto parts. It may be just a clip that broke

Was this
Friday, May 17th, 2013 AT 10:33 AM

Please login or register to post a reply.

Similar Questions