Starting issue

DUMPBOY
  • 1996 FORD RANGER
One time it will fire up like normal but if you shut it off it won’t crank back up until it sits a while. Also, when it’s running it occasionally has a small but quick dip in rpm's.
Friday, February 1st, 2019 AT 7:08 AM

Hi and thanks for using 2CarPros.

The first thing that comes to mind is a bad electronic engine control relay (EEC). This relay will prevent the fuel pump from coming on as well as shutting off the ignition.

It's been awhile, but I recall several reports of this in the past where the car ran fine, someone would park, come back a few minutes later and it wouldn't start.

With that in mind, here is what I want you to do. The PCM power relay functions the same as the EEC relay on your truck. What I want you to do is this. When the engine refuses to start, switch that relay with a different one in the fuel/relay box that has the same part number and then see if it will start.

I attached a picture of the relay box under the hood as well as a legend of what each component is for.

Do this and let me know if it works. If it does, just replace the relay.

Take care,
-1
Friday, February 1st, 2019 AT 9:02 PM
DUMPBOY
I tried switching the relays and it didn t work. I was told by someone else that the camshaft synchronizer could also cause that but I don t know. Any help would be great.
Saturday, February 2nd, 2019 AT 7:46 AM
If the EEC isn't the issue, the next suspect is the crankshaft position sensor. Take a look through this link.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/symptoms-of-a-bad-crankshaft-sensor

The Crankshaft Position Sensor is located at the lower front of the engine. (See Picture 1)

Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor

See Picture 2

REMOVAL
1. Disconnect battery ground cable.

NOTE: When battery voltage is removed from the Powertrain Control Module (PCM), all learned values will be cleared and reset to predetermined values. When battery voltage is restored to the PCM, the vehicle may exhibit certain driveability concerns. It will be necessary to drive the vehicle to allow the PCM to relearn values for optimum driveability and performance.

2. Disconnect Crankshaft Position (CKP) sensor electrical connector.
3. Remove two CKP sensor screws and remove sensor.

INSTALLATION
1. Position CKP sensor on engine .
2. Install two CKP sensor screws and tighten to 4-7 Nm (35-62 Lb in).
3. Route CKP sensor wiring harness and connect electrical connector.
4. Connect battery ground cable.

________________________________

When the problem happens, you have two easy choices to check. First, if you have a live data scanner, see if there is an RPM signal. If there isn't, my first suspect is this sensor. Or, check to see if the engine is getting spark.

Here are a couple links you may find helpful:

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/crankshaft-angle-sensor-replacement

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-test-an-ignition-system

Let me know what you find or if you have other questions.

Saturday, February 2nd, 2019 AT 8:32 PM