2005 Hyundai Elantra At my wits end. Broke. And Car overh

PURVISHAH37
  • 2005 HYUNDAI ELANTRA
Engine Cooling problem
2005 Hyundai Elantra 4 cyl 45000 miles

I drive approx. 8 miles to work, takes about 15-20 minutes with some traffic. Since last September, every few days or so, as soon as I'm into the drive to work, the needle goes up and looks like my car is overheating. I immediately turn the heat on or turn off the car, and everything is fine.

As the weather has gotten warmer over the last month, I got more nervous because I knew I'd need the A/C. The last two or three times the needle would start to go up, and then would actually go DOWN when I turned the A/C on. This had not happened before, and in fact the opposite happened.

I've taken it to the dealer about 7 times in the last several months. They say they've checked everything and no problems. They've let it run for several hours parked; also, they've taken it out and driven for a couple of hours; they've run the A/C and it NEVER seems to overheat for them!

I would appreciate any helpful insight into my problem. I cannot keep missing work and magically, the problem never happens when it's at the dealership. Again, it is a 2005 Hyundai Elantra--that I just recently worked very very hard to pay off.

Thanks.
Monday, June 16th, 2008 AT 1:54 PM

LEGITIMATE007
Let me ask you, does the fan come on when the a/c is turned on? If so then I dont' believe there is anything wrong with the fan harness/connection, so I would first flush my coolant system and then replace the thermostat, if that doesnt solve your problem then I would check/replace the engine coolant temperature sensor. And let me know what happens. Of course you allways want to make sure all of your fluids are topped off(coolant, oil) because even low oil or dirty oil will bring the engines temp up dramatically.
Monday, June 16th, 2008 AT 2:11 PM
DOCFIXIT
I think your problem is the cooling fan. Here is why after driving it heats up you turn heater thus blowing excess engine coolant heat into passenger compartment. But you said with AC on it was O.K. This is where the dealer was doing the test not withAC off. The cooling fan is turned on by a temp switch which signals ECM that it is gettig hot turns relay on which turns fan on. In AC mode fan is turned on when the AC is on. So tell the dealer to check the temp sensor you should be O.K.
Hope this helps
Monday, June 16th, 2008 AT 2:16 PM
LEGITIMATE007
Yes I think I did say the engine coolant temp sensor should be checked /replaced
Monday, June 16th, 2008 AT 2:19 PM
PURVISHAH37
For those of you who responded, thank you. Any ideas as to why the dealership is not able to catch if there is a problem with the engine coolant sensor? They have run it with and without the A/C, in traffic and not in traffic. And it just does not seem to overheat when they have it.
Monday, June 16th, 2008 AT 2:31 PM
LEGITIMATE007
You know, in my personal opinion. I just do not trust the dealership as far as I can see em. Ive just heard too many stories and have had several experiences with them in the past and there is just no excuse as to why they do what they do, try to get over on people who don't know much about their vehicle or why they try to get you to purchase more services than what you need, I don't recommend them and I will not go back to them ever. There are several things you just can't avoid, and you have to go to them to purchase several different parts that the parts places don't sell, but other than that no-way. Either they had some incompitant mechanic looking at your car or they are just trying to reel you in somehow. And thats just the way I feel, im sorry.
Monday, June 16th, 2008 AT 2:39 PM