2002 Hyundai Elantra Overheating.

CAMARO58
  • 2002 HYUNDAI ELANTRA
Engine Cooling problem
2002 Hyundai Elantra 4 cyl Automatic 59,000 miles

My daughter owns a 2002 Hyundai Elantra GLS that she is diligent about maintenance on. It has about 59,000 miles on it. While routinely driving 2 days ago, the air conditioner suddenly stopped blowing cold air. When she stopped at the bank, shortly after noticing the warm air, the car was spuing anit-freeze. She let it cool down, filled the reserve, started the car and it was not leaking any fluids anywhere (no hose ruptures), temp gauge returned to normal. She drove about 6 miles and it began to overheat again. Been parked and not restarted since.
Thursday, July 17th, 2008 AT 9:17 AM

DOCFIXIT
Check to see if cooling fan is comming on. If not may be temp switch or fan relay.
-1
Thursday, July 17th, 2008 AT 9:45 AM
CAMARO58
I checked both cooling fan and air conditioning compressor cooling fan. They are operating normally and the car is now blowing cold air. After letting the car idle until the temp gauge reached the halway mark, the water in the radiator is remaining still, no movement at all. Did not think the car needed to run 'hot' before water started to circulate
Thursday, July 17th, 2008 AT 1:50 PM
DOCFIXIT
You have found the problem yes coolant should be circulating the thermostate is not opening to allow flow. Replace thermo and you should be fine.
Make sure you let air to purge system before capping.
Thursday, July 17th, 2008 AT 2:01 PM
CAMARO58
As I was adding water I noticed some 'pinholes' on the seam of the radiator near the top radiator hose. Are these normal 'overflow' type holes or did the weld let loose as the radiator overheated as I suspect.
photo #1 shows the complete top of radiator
photo#2 is a close up of the 'pinholes'
thanks for all your help, just a mom with limited knowledge trying to get the kid back on the road...she has my car!

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/214642_2002_hyundai_1_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/214642_2002_hyundai_2_1.jpg

Thursday, July 17th, 2008 AT 2:27 PM
DOCFIXIT
Bummer on the rad you are right pinholes not good.
Is that a metal tank if so a radiator shop may be able to repair if plastic no.
Are you going to DIY?
Thursday, July 17th, 2008 AT 2:48 PM
CAMARO58
It's plastic and yes DIY. Sigh
Thursday, July 17th, 2008 AT 2:58 PM
DOCFIXIT
You can go to this site for real good instruction
http://www.2carpros.com/kpages/auto-repair-manuals.htm
The thermo. follow top hose to engine housing two bolts.
Radiator on top the two black brackets unbolt fan assembly needs to come off
Also two metal lines that go to transmission for cooling need to be removed with a line wrench
Good luck and please pm me if you need help
Shop around for radiator and some shops do repair plastic so try that to save $$
Thursday, July 17th, 2008 AT 3:13 PM
CAMARO58
You have been absolutely great! Looks like we have our weekend project planned! Fortunately, my dad was a real car enthusiast and I am not afraid to tackle some of the minor repairs. Both my girls are also proficient and choose to save the labor if we can figure it out ourselves. Again, many thanks
Thursday, July 17th, 2008 AT 3:23 PM
MARK6937
Your radiator is bad. The exact thing happened to my 2002 elantra. I first noticed a mild smell of anti freeze followed by my AC blowing warm, I thought my AC went out until I noticed my car spewing anti freeze. I couldn't find the leak until I back traced the fluid and where it was leaking from. I replaced the radiator and everything went back to normal including the AC. This vehicle also has a problem with the Fan located to the passenger side of the front of the motor; the right one works but the one on the passenger side don't. I'm almost positive your radiator id bad. They make this one with plastic seams and when it overheats the radiator bursts at the seam.
+1
Saturday, December 27th, 2014 AT 8:13 PM