It sounds like the power steering pump is loose. You should not have more than 1/2 inch up and down play. If there is more, adjust or replace the belt.
1. Press the V belt, applying a pressure of 98 N (10 kg, 22 lbs.) At the specified point and measure the deflection to confirm that it is within the standard value.
V belt deflection: 6 - 9 mm
2. If the belt deflection is beyond the standard value, adjust the belt tension as follows.
1. Loosen the bolt adjusting the power steering "V" belt tension.
2. Put a bar or equivalent, between the bracket and the oil pump and adjust the tension so that the belt deflection is within the standard value.
3. Tighten the bolt adjusting the power steering "V" belt tension.
4. Check the belt deflection and adjust it again if necessary.
Let me know what you find.
See the diagrams below
Images (Click to enlarge)
Tuesday, March 24th, 2009 AT 12:48 PM