2003 HYUNDAI ELANTRA HEATER MODE/VENT SELECTOR PROBLEM!

• mymarbles
  • 2003 Hyundai Elantra

Heater problem
2003 Hyundai Elantra 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 85000 miles

The heat output is stuck at mid-level/dash vents only and won't switch to floor, plus we also can't get much of anything from defog/defroster vents. Blower works at all speeds and temp functions properly. The mode selector switch SEEMS to work, at least partly, because the A/C compressor kicks in when moved into the defog positions. I can't find an adequate drawing/pic/diagram of what I need to look for and really can't afford the $500 estimate that our local dealer wants to fix it. First they'd want $126 just to run diagnostics! Please, any clues on where to look? Maybe a dirty connector? If it could be a dead mode actuator, would that be too difficult to replace?

~desperate in Minnesota

Tuesday, November 24th, 2009 AT 12:18 AM

• merlin2021

99.9% of the time it's the mode switch, but Hyundia does not give any test info! Remove the trim panel by prying it off, it just pops into clips, then unbolt the unit.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_1_47.jpg

Tuesday, November 24th, 2009 AT 2:45 PM