1997 Hyundai Elantra transmission problems

MATTSTERCRAFT
  • 1997 HYUNDAI ELANTRA
My car is idling very fast and seemingly is not shifting at higher speeds. This started shortly after I replaced the igniton wires. (I had one bad one) I dont know if this is related but at about the same time the shifter lever started acting up. I cant put it in gear without using the override button. When I push the button on my shifter I can hear/feel it "click" in the steering colum.
Friday, March 26th, 2010 AT 4:31 PM

DAVE H
Hello. Thanks for the donation. Much appreciated

SHIFT LOCK SYSTEM
The shift lock system prevents gearshift lever from being moved from Park unless brake pedal is depressed, ignition is on and release button on side of gearshift lever is depressed. The shift lock system consists of shift and key lock control module, shift lock solenoid, park position switch and brakelight switch. See COMPONENT LOCATIONS. The shift and key lock control module controls operation of shift lock solenoid for gearshift lever operation. In case of a malfunction, gearshift lever can be released by depressing release button.
KEY LOCK SYSTEM
The key lock system prevents ignition key from being turned to LOCK position unless gearshift lever is in Park. Key lock system consists of shift and key lock control module, key lock solenoid and key lock switch. See COMPONENT LOCATIONS. The shift and key lock control module controls operation of key lock solenoid.

SHIFT LOCK SYSTEM
To check system operation, turn ignition on. Depress release button on side of gearshift lever.
With brake pedal released, gearshift lever should not move from Park. Depress brake pedal. With release button depressed, gearshift lever should now move from Park.
If shift lock system operation is not as specified, check brakelight switch and shift lock solenoid. See BRAKELIGHT SWITCH and SHIFT LOCK SOLENOID under COMPONENT TESTS. If necessary, check wiring and ground connections.
BRAKELIGHT SWITCH
Disconnect brakelight switch connector. Using DVOM, check for continuity between brakelight switch terminals with brake pedal depressed. Continuity should be present. Release brake pedal. Continuity should not be present. If continuity is as specified, brakelight switch is okay. If continuity is not as specified, go to next step.
Ensure brake pedal is properly adjusted so brakelight switch can obtain proper travel for switch operation. See BRAKELIGHT SWITCH under ADJUSTMENTS. If adjustment is okay, replace brakelight switch.

SHIFT LOCK SOLENOID
Disconnect shift lock solenoid connector. Using DVOM, measure resistance between shift lock solenoid terminals. Replace shift lock solenoid if resistance is not 12-16 ohms.
To check shift lock solenoid operation, connect battery voltage across shift lock solenoid terminals. When battery voltage is applied, a "clicking" sound should be heard to indicate solenoid operation. Replace shift lock solenoid if operation is not as specified.
Sunday, March 28th, 2010 AT 7:29 AM
MATTSTERCRAFT
OK but what about the fast idle after replacing the ignition wires and the shifting problem? Are you saying my solenoid problem is somehow related to that?
Monday, March 29th, 2010 AT 2:53 PM
DAVE H
Check the TPS (throttle position sensor) is not binding/sticking. This could cause high idle and incorrect gear shift's
Monday, March 29th, 2010 AT 6:56 PM
MATTSTERCRAFT
And where would that be and how do I check/test it?
Wednesday, March 31st, 2010 AT 3:09 PM
DAVE H
Hey, sorrynot replied sooner .. work commitment's !

The tps is located on throttle body .. check the wiring is good .. remove it from throttle body and check it is not binding up/sticking .. clean it or replace it if necassary ! (#8 in picture)

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/266999_hyu_1.jpg

+2
Saturday, April 3rd, 2010 AT 6:31 AM