Back on track here so here's a long message for you to build a picture.
I bought a 2015 Lincoln MKZ 2.0 Hybrid with a soft head-on collision (frame intact) from the States to export to Europe for my Dad as a gift, to make the old man happy with a great American car.
VIN is 3LN6L2LU4FR626585. Mileage is 55,100.
The car was run & drive and prior to purchase I had a video of the gasoline engine running rough because of a broken vacuum line. No issues during transport. The car would start fine and drive well enough to be moved around. It had both headlights smashed, as well as the radiator fan. Two of the three radiators (gas engine coolant and refrigerant) were cracked and leaked out.
When it arrived, I started it and it ran as in the video. The hybrid battery was showing at around 15% and after a short time it kicked into electric. That's how I drove it off the trailer and into the shop - on electric.
My mechanic started dismantling the front end to remove damaged components. Radiators were taken out, radiator fan too. I ordered some parts. Here's a chronological history of what happened next:
1. Vacuum was fully repaired. Car was started on gas and ran smooth. No weird messages on dash except a Check Engine MIL which was there before the purchase.
2. Main 12V battery went dead - possibly because it read hood as constantly open. (We then shorted the hood lock chain to simulate it being closed.)
3. The mechanic hooked a 12V charger to the battery for a few hours without disconnecting a terminal - like on a normal car. 12V battery was charged.
4. Everything that was disconnected during repair was duly connected. The only thing left disconnected on the car were the missing headlamps. Even the broken radiator fan was connected although damaged.
HERE PROBLEMS BEGIN:
5. We started the car on gas. It would start normally, again no weird messages on dash. It would run fine for about 10-15 seconds and turn itself off. NEW red message "Stop Safely Now" would light up on dash and not go away. Other messages would read "Full Accessory Power Active" (yellow) and "Check Headlamp System" (yellow.) Nothing else worth mentioning.
6. We noticed that the hybrid battery now showed completely empty.
7. Upon later attempts the same day the car would shift gears fine but never start again.
8. We checked the 12V battery's voltage and it was good. Nonetheless, since we could not check the amps, we put in a brand new 12V battery just to eliminate this as a possible cause, however highly improbable. Same behavior with the new battery. "Stop Safely Now" message remained active and car would not crank.
9. We put the old 12V battery back in place - no change again, as expected.
10. We left the car for a day - unlocked but presumably put to sleep.
11. On the following day 12V battery was fine but steps 5 through 7 happened all over again. Funny thing is the car would start to begin with when it couldn't the day before. For a brief minute at first ignition the "Stop Safely Now" message was NOT there. There was a green one - "Ready to Drive".
12. When the car started, during the short time it ran it wouldn't rev. Then it would go back to "Stop Safely Now" and die.
13. We left the car locked for a week over Easter, 12V battery charged and connected.
14. Today we went to see what's happening and steps 5 through 7 happened yet again.
15. We had a diagnostic tool today so we took some code readings.
16. We looked closely for visible signs of a damaged or disconnected electrical line at the hybrid PCM but everything looked intact, close to brand new.
This is where we're at so far. Here are the DTCs:
* P1A0C - Hybrid Powertrain Control Module - Engine Disabled (THE BIG ONE!)
* P0532 - A/C Refrigerant Pressure Sensor A Circuit Low (we know why)
* P0480 - Fan 1 Control Circuit Malfunction (we know why)
* P0073 - Ambient Air Temperature Sensor Malfunction (we don't know why but don't care)
No other codes. We tried resetting those but none could even be deleted except the first one.
So now the question is: How do we get this thing to start and rev and drive on gas?
Why would it start after it's been sleeping for a day and still not rev?
How do we get the hybrid batteries to charge when we can't drive the car on gas?
Thank you for your help, any tips would be highly appreciated. I'm in the dark here and I really need someone with hybrid experience to point me in the right direction.
Looking forward to your reply.
Thursday, May 6th, 2021 AT 1:55 PM