How do you remove the liftgate trim?

COLUCP
  • 2002 FORD WINDSTAR
I need to replace the latch guard (the part with the Ford emblem) because the holders for both license plate lights are both broken so they won't hold bulbs anymore. I removed the liftgate inner handle along with a screw on both outer edges of the trim (one on each side). I can't figure out how to remove the trim. Does it slide out of place or does it just pop out of slots it is fitted into? I'm trying not to force it so I don't break it. This is for a 2002 Ford Windstar minivan. If anyone has pictures or something that I can download and use for reference, I would greatly appreciate it. Help!
Thursday, March 12th, 2015 AT 2:19 PM

We don't show anything for that part take the panel off the inside of liftgate then you can get a better view some may just be on with two way tape. See pics.
Thursday, March 12th, 2015 AT 4:19 PM
COLUCP
I stuck a flat head screwdriver between the trim and the metal frame between where the handle screws were (before I removed them). I can peer inside and I see a plastic point that seems to just fit into a grove or hole in the metal frame. When I try to move the screwdriver to either side and further to the left or right, I don't have any give on the plastic trim so I don't know if there's another plastic point like I just described or if there's some sort of hook I have to undo by sliding a certain way. I could just pull outward but I'm afraid that I'll tear any hook and break it. It's my last option so I wanted to see if anyone has any ideas before I go to that. I looked at the pictures you posted and I removed of the screws as indicated. I just don't know what is holding the trim in place. There's no give so I can't slide it. Any further info before I resort to prying it off with a flat head screwdriver?
Thursday, March 12th, 2015 AT 4:48 PM
Ya know if you red wha tis on the pics even though they are small it says TAKE OUT THE SCREWS and it shows where they are in all the pics.
Thursday, March 12th, 2015 AT 4:51 PM