2003 Honda Odyssey Passenger Window doesn't roll down

GLP
  • 2003 HONDA ODYSSEY
When trying to roll the passenger side window down from the driver side it won't go down, but it will go up, and it goes up and down when using the passenger side switch.

After studying the wiring diagram in the Haynes manual I did some voltage checks. I checked the voltage in the wires that plug into the passenger side window switch. The wires seem to be getting the proper voltage (DOWN circuit got 11.7 V when rolling the window down, UP circuit got 11.7 V when rolling window up.)

When checking the same wires while using the switch on the driver side, I got the correct voltage when rolling UP but got zero voltage when rolling DOWN. It seems like the down circuit is broken but I can't tell where. Any help would be appreciated.

By the way, this problem happened when I replaced the passenger window motor/regulator (cable was broke). There are two 6-pin connectors in the door and I accidently switched them when plugging them back in. I should have paid more attention to which one went where. Anyway, when I connected the battery up I smelled an electrical burning odor for a minute or so. Nothing worked, so I did some troubleshooting and figured out the connectors were plugged in wrong, switched them back and everything worked fine except the problem I describe above.
Thursday, April 15th, 2010 AT 10:39 PM

KHLOW2008
Hi GLP,

Symptoms indicates a faulty master switch or passenger side switch.

Here are procedures for testing the passenger switch.

PASSENGER'S WINDOW SWITCH TEST

1. Check for continuity between the terminals in each switch position according to the table.

2. If the continuity is not as specified, replace the switch.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_PassengerWindowSwitch03OdysseyFig41_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_PassengerWindowSwitch03OdysseyFig42_1.jpg

If the switch is ok, then you would have to test the driver door control unit.
-1
Friday, April 16th, 2010 AT 12:07 PM
GLP
Thanks for the help. I tested the passenger switch for continuity and it failed. I am going to replace the switch, then I will post the results.
Friday, April 16th, 2010 AT 11:20 PM
KHLOW2008
Glad to know you have some results.

Keep me updated.

Have a nice ay.
Saturday, April 17th, 2010 AT 9:06 AM
GLP
I replaced the passenger switch and it wasn't the problem. By the way, I tested the old one for continuity as follows: I checked for continuity between the terminal numbers listed in the table that are connected by a line. I did it assuming both the bracketed numbers and non-bracketed numbers and it failed both ways. It failed multiple continuity checks for all 3 positions.

Is there anything else I can test? The next component on the wiring diagram is the Passenger Multiplex Unit. I know it could also be the master switch.
Wednesday, April 21st, 2010 AT 5:51 PM
KHLOW2008
Your model is 03 so you should used the bracketted numbers instead.

UP = terminal 2 and 4 should have continuity but isolated from 1, 3 5, 6, which are all connected.

OFF = Only terminal 4 has no continuity in the circuit.

DOWN = Terminal 4 and 6 are connected.

Since the passenger switch did not solve the problem, I would suspect the master switch to be more likely to be the cause. If it is the Multiplex control system, most probably you would not be able to control the passenger door at all from the drive master switch.

Master switch testing procedures are not found in our database so most probably you would need to get a substitute master switch to test.

You can try getting the part from a junk yard to reduce cost.
+1
Thursday, April 22nd, 2010 AT 10:14 AM
GLP
I replaced the master switch and that didn't solve the problem. With a new master switch and passenger switch installed, the passenger window still won't roll down from the driver side. Do you have any other suggestions?
Monday, May 3rd, 2010 AT 9:40 PM
KHLOW2008
Are both replaced switches new or used? I would not rule out the possibility of any of them being faulty.

I have emailled some diagnostic files to you. Go through them and see if you can come up with anything. If you do not receive the files, please let me know.
Tuesday, May 4th, 2010 AT 11:35 AM
KHLOW2008
I have resent the updated files and if you have any questions, please post reply here.
Tuesday, May 4th, 2010 AT 4:25 PM
GLP
I can now view all the Figures in PWCUTest03Odyssey. Pdf. I still cannot view the Figures in PWCUInputTest03Odysey. Pdf. Maybe that file didn't get updated.

Tuesday, May 4th, 2010 AT 9:04 PM
KHLOW2008
Sorry for the error, I got the files mixed up and sent you the wrong file.

The file have been sent again. Hope it works correctly.

Have a nice day.
Wednesday, May 5th, 2010 AT 11:01 AM
FRIENDSAUTO
I am having the EXACT same problem. Please let me know the result of your Honda.
If anyone else know please let me know?
Thursday, July 29th, 2010 AT 4:14 PM
GLP
I was not able to fix the window. The passenger side window will not roll down from the driver side switch. I replaced the driver and passenger side window switches and neither of those fixed the problem. I am out of ideas for now, but I still want to fix it. Let me know if you find a solution.
Thursday, July 29th, 2010 AT 4:50 PM
KHLOW2008
Hi GLP,

Sorry to know you have not fixed the problem yet.

Did you perform the test on the PWCTU and inpout test?

Did you test the replacement switch?
I would be digging more into this to get to the bottom of it.
Saturday, July 31st, 2010 AT 10:22 AM
HONDAOWNER2003
I had the similar problem with the passenger window not going down from driver side only, and the problem was fixed by my auto mechanic after several hours of investigation. They said it was a short circuit on the back of the fuse box. They said something about a circuit board. I don't remember all the details, but I hope this helps.
Wednesday, September 8th, 2010 AT 12:29 PM
GLP
Thank you for the info. I will make some continuity checks in that area.
Thursday, September 9th, 2010 AT 9:45 PM
KHLOW2008
This seems to be a common problem but I have not encountered any before so does not know where the fault lies.

GLP, kindly lets us know where your vehicle fault is so we can use it to help others.

Good luck and happy hunting.
Friday, September 10th, 2010 AT 1:35 AM
GLP
I know this thread is a little old, but I just fixed the problem so I wanted to let others know how I fixed it. Just to recap. Passenger window would not roll down from drivers master switch. Problem started after installing new passenger window regulator and initially plugging regulator connection into wrong female connection in door. Replaced passenger switch and driver master switch with no change. Replaced Passenger multiplex unit and window now works all around. Conclusion: Plugging window regulator connection in wrong shorted something in the MPX unit, but did not harm window switches.
+5
Saturday, April 30th, 2011 AT 11:49 PM
KHLOW2008
Thank you for the input.

It would be helpful to others if they are attempting to do any repairs.

Have a nice day.
Sunday, May 1st, 2011 AT 12:09 AM