1987 Honda CRX Overheating.

• 3 POSTS
  • 1987 HONDA CRX

Engine Cooling problem
1987 Honda CRX 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 139440 miles

Why does my car overheat at low/idle speeds?
A couple of years ago I had a new water pump/timing belt installed and it did good for awile.
For awile now my car blows a small amount of antifreeze into the overflow. I went to Asheville n.C. For vacation with my car and it did good on the long distance trip. Sometimes but not all the time some white smoke comes out of the tailpipe when it overheats. I do not believe that there is coolent in my antifreeze and this car has had carburator problems before but I have fixed some of them. I have recently installed a new fuel pump. Could my problem be a intake gasket or a modulator diaphram? The carb. Might be running lean, could this cause overheating? Any info is appreciated ! Thank you.

Sunday, September 19th, 2010 AT 12:37 PM

It sounds like the cooling fan isn't coming on. At idle, the fan needs to draw air through the radiator. When you are driving at highway speed, the air automatically draws through.

The white smoke has me concerned. If coolant is getting into the combustion chamber via a bad head gasket, that is what it will do. Also, it can cause it to hverheat.

Have you ever had the head gasket checked?

Sunday, September 26th, 2010 AT 12:01 AM