CAR CRANKS BUT WON'T START

1998 Honda CRV

CRVNuts

September, 1, 2010 AT 2:09 AM

1998 Honda CRV 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 83186 miles

1. My CRV cranks but won't start sometimes. I press on gas but still won't start. After several attempts to start, I smell fuel. When it seems like it will start it sounds like a boat engine on idle. Fuel pump and filter was replaced but the problem still happens.

2. I feel vibrations on the body when driving at certain speeds. I have new tires, got it balanced as well. Vibrations is felt more on the back end.

3. I hear annoying clacking noises at the rear when I drive even on the slightest uneven grounds.

4. My rotors has been re-surfaced but still squeeks.

I will appreciate a response for these problems is driving me nuts and costing me a lot of money on repairs.

September, 1, 2010 AT 9:21 AM

Hi CRVNuts,

Thank you for the donation.

1. When engine cranks and would not start, you would need to test if it is fuel or ignition sparks that is missing.

When does this occur? After prolonged parking? Immediately after stopping? During Hot weathers? In the morning? Is the Check Engine Light Indicating?

Click the " First things To Check " link to get an idea what to look for.

2. Get the propeller shaft U-joint checked. If any is stiff or out of balance due to wear, vibrations would occur.

3. To check for noise problem, you would need a visual inspection. Look out for worn bushes, rust around bushes would be an indication of bad bushes. The most common cause for clacking noise over minor road uneveness are usuallly due to bad struts or its mount, bad upper arm, torsion arm radius arm or stabilizer links/bushes.

4. If the squeek is from the brakes, check the pad quality. Some pads quality would produce squeeks.

CRVNuts

September, 5, 2010 AT 10:39 AM

It won't start after a prolonged parking. Sometimes at less than 24 hours. When it starts at first it is like it's running out of gas. Sometimes my foot on the pedal would be down on the floor and it doesn't seem to have any power. The rpm stays below 1000. It sounds like empty. I continue to pump on the gas until it reaches 4000 rpm or until I feel the engine has power.

September, 5, 2010 AT 10:57 AM

Sypmtoms indicates a possible fuel system problem but guessing is too going to work. Perform the test outlinerd and let me know what you find.

CRVNuts

September, 5, 2010 AT 5:26 PM

I agree, I'll have the fuel system re-checked. Thanks. I'll let you know result.

Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Pressure Test