Blown Head Gasket

MUSTANGEJBJR
  • HONDA CIVIC

Honda Civic 6th generation (98), 187,000 miles on 1.6L SOHC Vtec, D16y8, OBD2. Nothing wrong with the car until the fatal mistake of not tightening the radiator cap. Order of events: Driving on freeway, engine light on, white smoke blowing out of pipe in short, overheating, redline hot for 2 miles before eixiting freeway, car dies as it pulls into rest stop. After getting cap and refilling radiator again, the car starts. End of events) Is it more feasible to just buy another engine? My guess is yes, but if so do you know a credible online store? How specific/exact engine can be used to replace this one?

Monday, June 18th, 2007 AT 7:30 PM

BRUCE HUNT

Before I would throw in the chips on the engine you have, ask yourself what the engine was like prior to this? Did it use oil? Did it loose or consume any coolant? If the answer is generally "no", don't give up on it. Why was the radiator cap off?

I would pull off the valve cover and the head. I would take it in and have the head checked for warpage and cracks. If it passes or has to be planed, a new head gasket and you can be on the road again.

Obviously there are some other things to look at and be careful not to mess up when taking it apart but you get the point. Much, much cheaper to find out if this one is salvagable.

Please consider a donation to help us answer more questions.
Tuesday, June 19th, 2007 AT 7:48 AM
MUSTANGEJBJR

We were able to save head, and pressure tested it at the machine shop. Now I will be putting the head back on and changing seals. One question, do you have a reference to diagrams of this engine or info to where to find specifications with brief descriptions of what needs to be replaced when putting the head back on?

Ty.

Tuesday, June 26th, 2007 AT 9:53 PM
BRUCE HUNT

Obviously you need a new nead gasket. I strongly suggest a new intake and possibly a new exhaust manifold gasket. Many people recommend and Honda does too that you replace the bolts for the head. Get a new valve cover gasket and the seals for the plug holes.

Wednesday, June 27th, 2007 AT 8:20 AM
BILLBO311
  • 2004 HONDA CIVIC
  • MERGED

The car takes forever to put warm air out of the heater. Coolant can be in tip top shape, does not matter. And also has a problem with coolant, every now and then the radiator is just empty, as if spaceships in the night removed it. Then you wont have that problem, just long enough to forget you had it, then POW, its gone again. Im not making this up. And I have had 2 Accords, 4 civics in my lifetime. This is the first Post 2000 model. Never came across this.I think blown head gasket, fill res. And it wont move. Too wierd.

Tuesday, December 20th, 2016 AT 2:58 PM
JOHNNYT73
  • 943 POSTS
  • MERGED

You need to have the system pressure tested to see where the coolant is going. Also, filling the reservoir does not fill your radiator. You need to remove the radiator cap and fill it directly. Fill it and leave the cap off, start the car with the heat on, let it idle till it reaches operating temp, then raise the rpm to 2500 rpm and hold it for about 5 seconds (do this till you no longer see bubbles at the radiator, check to be sure you have heat at idle, then replace cap. That procedure will burp the air out of the system. If do that and still have coolant loss issues then you need to have the system pressure tested for leaks.

Tuesday, December 20th, 2016 AT 2:58 PM
BILLBO311
  • MERGED

Thanks, im actuall burping the car right now, to eliminate that gremlin. And yes, I typically add to radiator, unless im driving it.

Tuesday, December 20th, 2016 AT 2:58 PM
2CARPROS KEN
  • MERGED

Good answer Johnnyt73

here is some more information on the subject

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-heater-not-working

please let us know what you find

Tuesday, December 20th, 2016 AT 2:58 PM
BILLBO311
  • MERGED

Thanks for all the input.I liked the "air lock" idea from the beginning, but continued staring under the hood for hours.I tried using a spillproof funnel, got lots of bubbles, but had an overheat, and took a step back.I threw in the towel, convinced it was my heater core being plugged. The shop I use, stood the car up" practically on its back bumper, and ran it. Car is in a state of warmth it has never known. This approach made sense, I just never saw it comin.I.E, the approach.

Tuesday, December 20th, 2016 AT 2:58 PM
2CARPROS KEN
  • MERGED

That is some good info my man, nice work JohnnyT73, it will help many, thanks for getting back to us, thanks for using 2CarPros.com I will update this article to include this info.

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-heater-not-working

Thanks again, Ken

Tuesday, December 20th, 2016 AT 2:58 PM
BILLBO311
  • MERGED

Excited to think it may help someone avoid uneeded downtime. GO BLUE!

Tuesday, December 20th, 2016 AT 2:58 PM