96' HX WATER PUMP QUESTION

1996 Honda Civic

yeagermiester

May, 25, 2006 AT 9:29 AM

I recently had work done to my car by a certefied Honda dealer. My car has 57,118 miles on it and got the timing belt changed. They said they replaced the water pump to and charged $170 for it. First question is where is my water pump? I was told that the pump was powered by a belt, but nothing on that side of the engine has any tubes from the radiator. The only thing that has lines from the radiator is on the opposite side of the belts and doesn't look new. Nothing under the hood looks new. I was also told that the pump is actually inside the engine block. And my second question is $170 a little steep for just a water pump (Obviously not including the timing belt work done)?
So any answers given would be greatly appreciated

Bruce Hunt

May, 25, 2006 AT 2:58 PM

Well, when you pull off the timing covers the water pump is moved with the timing belt. The pump is under this cover and is a part of the engine block. The oil pump is there as well. I always recommend that if you are going to the work of replacing the timing belt, do the water pump too. The price of the pump is higher than I have paid, but I am using an after market pump on my vehicles. The Honda part would be more and the cost is about right. To have the water pump go out after a timing belt replacement would be very costly again. You did right in getting that replaced as well.

Water Pump Replacement Made Easy
Heater Hose Replacement Chevrolet Camaro
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz ML
Serpentine Belt Replacement Ford Contour
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet