CLUTCH

1997 Honda Civic

scott1987

October, 1, 2008 AT 8:29 AM

1997 Honda Civic 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 100000 miles

Recently had my clutch replaced as the release bairn was noisy and it the clutch had started to slip. Upon changing all this the same noises are still there and the clutch is still slipping. What could the problem be?

Clutch Problems

Clutch Help!

October, 14, 2008 AT 2:46 PM

Hi scott1987,

The bearing noise should be from the trans bearing if it disappears when clutch is depressed.

Clutch slipping could be due to improper adjustment of clutch pedal adjustment resulting in master cylinder piston not returning fully. Check the push rod clearance.

scott1987

October, 22, 2008 AT 2:54 AM

Thnks for the advice will have it looked at. Do you have an email address so I can contact you upon inspection?

Scott Henderson

October, 22, 2008 AT 9:59 AM

Hi Scott,

You can just post a reply to this thread and I will be notified.

scott1987

October, 30, 2008 AT 6:43 AM

Can I just ask, Once the push rod has been adjusted the pedal height will increase. Will this stop the clutch slipping

October, 30, 2008 AT 8:23 AM

Hi Scott,

You must not adjust the push rod to push against the master cylinder to make the pedal higher. That would increase the slipping. You must adjust it to make the pedal lower with the push rod starting to move the piston about 1/4 inch after the pedal is depressed.

Anything you need to know you can just ask and I will try to answer as best as I can.

scott1987

November, 3, 2008 AT 3:26 AM

Hi KHLow2008,
Im not to sure what you mean, you are saying I must adjust the pushrod to make my pedal distance from the floor smaller. Or should I just forget about my pedal distance and adjust the pushrod to make sure my clutch doesnt slip.

November, 3, 2008 AT 8:39 AM

Hi Scott,

The height of the pedal is not that important. Ensure push rod is able to move freely with no restrictions when pedal is not depressed. That is the free play I meant. If the push rod is pushing against the master cylinder, it will self apply which is bad for the clutch.

scott1987

November, 3, 2008 AT 10:37 AM

Hi, I see what you mean now. I will try that and keep you posted. Thanks

scott1987

November, 3, 2008 AT 11:19 AM

KHLow2008, how are you?
Ive jus had a look at underneath the clutch pedal. Im still a little confussed as to what I have to do. After I remove the split pin, the push rod should disconnect from the pedal. This is where I get lost. Do I have to detach the master cylinder reservoir? Do I have to remove the actaul master cylinder itself or can I solve this problem without all this fuss? Would it be possible for you to reply with a step by step to ensure the push rod can move freely when the pedal is not depressed. I ust apoligise this is dragging on.
PS Where in the world are you. Scott (glasgow, scotland)

November, 3, 2008 AT 3:24 PM

Hi scott1987,

There is no need to remove the pin. Just unlock the jam nut and adjust the pushrod to have a slight frre movement.

Clutch/Flywheel/Rear Main Seal Replacement
Pulling an Auto Trans? Easy Instructions